This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] KDE Huge fonts

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bengbers
Registered Member
OS

[SOLVED] KDE Huge fonts

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:55 pm
Hi,
After a clean installation of Fedora 10 on a Toshiba satellite pro, I started up KDE. The startup screen looks normal but I can't use any/most of the applications that I have tried to use since KDE uses terrible huge fonts to display the menu. On youTube I have seen a movie showing what I get (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72kKUBpnd5g).
I have retried the installation using all of the folowing scenarios:
Install default Fedora with Gnome, KDE and several KDE-programs.
Install default Fedora and then add default KDE.
Install Fedora without gnome but with KDE

This makes no difference.

I have also installed qt3-config and changed settings but that makes no difference. Applications, such as Firefox 30.x. that work fine under Gnome, can't be used under KDE.

Does anyone give me a hint where to look for a solution?

Ben
Hans
Administrator
OS

[SOLVED] KDE Huge fonts

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:26 pm
Sounds like the same thing as in this thread: huge-fonts-in-apps ... 26666.html

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

[SOLVED] KDE Huge fonts

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:54 pm
If you are using KDE 4, You will need to use qt4-config instead of qt3-config.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
bengbers
Registered Member
OS

[SOLVED] KDE Huge fonts

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:00 pm
I have removed qt3-config and installed qt4-config (yum install qt4-config). This results in the following apps:
/usr/bin/assistant-qt4
/usr/bin/pinentry-qt
/usr/bin/qtconfig-qt4
/usr/bin/qtdoc

I have started qtconfig-qt4 & (from the command-line since it does not show up in any of the menus), changed the font-size and saved the new settings.
After starting the KDE-desktop nothing has changed. The KDE-apps still huge those big fonts.

Maybe that using qt4-config changes display-settings for apps that use qt but for the moment I still can not use the KDE-desktop.

Any clues on what to do now?

Ben
bengbers
Registered Member
OS

[SOLVED] KDE Huge fonts

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:42 pm
I installed Googleearth and now running under Gnome, Googleearth uses the same wrong fonts as all the other apps running under KDE.

Is this useful extra information?

Ben
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

[SOLVED] KDE Huge fonts

Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:44 am
Since Googleearth uses Qt4, it indicates that there is a problem with Qt detecting the correct configuration. Try removing ~/.config/Trolltech.conf outside of a KDE session, and with no Qt applications running.

KDE Sysadmin
bengbers
Registered Member
OS

[SOLVED] KDE Huge fonts

Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:07 pm
bcooksley wrote:Since Googleearth uses Qt4, it indicates that there is a problem with Qt detecting the correct configuration. Try removing ~/.config/Trolltech.conf outside of a KDE session, and with no Qt applications running.

(Using Gnome) I have first deleted Trolltech.conf and then started Googleearth. Under Gnome Googleearth still does not behave as it should be.
I have changed to KDE but KDE still uses the huge fonts.

I then thought about comparing the Trolttech.conf from this laptop to the same file from my desktop.
The only thing that looks odd to me is that on the desktop, Trolltech.conf only uses the following sections:
[Qt%20Plugin%20Cache%204.4.false]
[Qt%20Factory%20Cache%204.4]
[qt]

while on the latop it uses:
[Qt%20Plugin%20Cache%204.4.false]
[Qt%20Factory%20Cache%204.4]
[Qt%20Plugin%20Cache%204.5.false]
[Qt%20Factory%20Cache%204.5]
[qt]

Is it safe to copy all the stuff from the 204.5 sections to the 204.4 and then restart or do you want me ti post the Trolltech.conf from the laptop?

Ben
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

[SOLVED] KDE Huge fonts

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:08 pm
It will not make any difference, because the 4.5 means that Qt 4.5 is in use on that system, while it isn't on the other. I would recommend updating the laptop, if they are both running the same distribution.

KDE Sysadmin
bengbers
Registered Member
OS

[SOLVED] KDE Huge fonts

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:58 pm
bcooksley wrote:It will not make any difference, because the 4.5 means that Qt 4.5 is in use on that system, while it isn't on the other. I would recommend updating the laptop, if they are both running the same distribution.

I have used the same DVD for both installations. The desktop about half a year ago and the laptop 2 weeks ago. Gnome reports that the last upate on the laptop was a few hours ago.

What puzzles me is that applications that run fine under Gnome, are misbehaving under KDE (for example Firefox). Does this mean that KDE uses Qt for all the applications and that my problem will be solved when Qt works well or will that only solve part of my problem?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

[SOLVED] KDE Huge fonts

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:19 pm
That is interesting, since Firefox doesn't use Qt, but KDE is somehow affecting it. This means that KDE is applying settings that have been specified somewhere to your KDE session. These same settings fix Google Earth, while breaking Firefox, etc.

You may find some helpful settings in System Settings > Appearance > Fonts.
The setting "Force fonts DPI" might be of particular help.

KDE Sysadmin
bengbers
Registered Member
OS

[SOLVED] KDE Huge fonts

Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:11 am
bcooksley wrote:That is interesting, since Firefox doesn't use Qt, but KDE is somehow affecting it. This means that KDE is applying settings that have been specified somewhere to your KDE session. These same settings fix Google Earth, while breaking Firefox, etc.

You may find some helpful settings in System Settings > Appearance > Fonts.
The setting "Force fonts DPI" might be of particular help.

Nothing has been fixed yet :'(, The Gnome desktop works well (except Googleearth) and I still can't use the KDE desktop (I haven't found any application that is displayed correctly :-().
Under KDE I can't even use the system settings dialog which makes it hard to change the Force fonts DPI setting.

Is there a config-file in which I can change this setting, using a text-editor?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

[SOLVED] KDE Huge fonts

Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:41 am
The KDE configuration files are stored in $KDEHOME/share/config. $KDEHOME is not defined in most cases, and can be retrieved with the following command:
Code: Select all
kde4-config --localprefix

Unfortunately, I do not know which file it would change, or which value it would be in that file.

KDE Sysadmin
bengbers
Registered Member
OS

[SOLVED] KDE Huge fonts

Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:20 am
Googleearth under Gnome gave the same problems so it couldn't be blamed to KDE and/or Fedora 10 solely.
Googling for 'KDE huge fonts' led me to http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/i ... 95631.html and there I found the solution.
I first installed system-config-display and after running it, at least Googleearth worked fine under Gnome.
xdpyinfo said that my resolution was 96*96 dpi so I hoped that KDE would also use that resolution.

I then changed to the KDE-desktop but that was still giving those huge fonts.
On my desktop-machine I had seen that DPI-settings could be changed from System Settings->appearance->fonts. So I started that program and by holding the Alt-key, I could drag the screen until I found the Fonts-icon. In the same way I found the dialog for setting the DPI and after setting the fonts to a forced 96 dpi, I restarted the machine.

xdpyinfo now gives a resolution of 112*968 but the KDE desktop behaves correctly. I don't understand this but for the moment I'm glad that finally it works.