This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

tabs (even around the screen) rather than windowing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dchmelik
Registered Member
OS
Last year I mentioned the option to have tabs rather than windowing would be useful. Another idea I have is for a tab bar on any/all edge(s) of the screen. That would would be very useful--esp. to artists/graphicians, even musicians and writers/coders who edit a lot, etc.. Whenever I open 10 - 20 pictures to edit in GIMP I really wish such tabs were an option rather than excess windows even for parts of the program.

Tabs should also be moveable like selections in file managers, and one should be able to put more than one 'window' (i.e. program or file it opened) into a tab.

I am just saying that a tab bar extending to as many sides as you want should become commonplace GUI elements for an extension or replacement to windowing. These would need a command sort of like like for GNU/Linux console switching. based commands that put another window in your way are slower: if you know which number your program is at then you do not have keep pressing to scroll through some list in which you might choose wrong or accidentally.

I think all tabs must do is use KDE's remember/force window size feature to make any program in KDE be more orderly and thus efficient.

I am just an artist and old DOS programmer who prefers to focus on math & OS/hardware programming but who values a GUI as usable as these topics.

Last edited by dchmelik on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

programmer since 1993, UNIX user since 1997, X/KDE user since '0s, forum member since 2008-11
Zarin
KDE Developer
OS
Use the taskbar as the "tab bar" and make KWin open all windows maximised in System Settings -> Window Behavior. Moving "tabs" can be done by Ctrl+dragging the task bar items.