This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Adding Mimetypes for Office 2007 files

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
MTGap
Alumni
OS
I need a solution for getting mimetype icons to work for office 2007 files. It makes it a lot easier for file browsing instead of seeing a blank file. I've modified etc/mime.types and tried adding the other file types to the ms office entries (docx, pptx) but that hasn't worked and I've created mimetype icons following the pattern that the MS files follow: application-vnd.ms-word.png

So how exactly do I fix this, I can't even change the icon for individual files when I right click them and go to properties... I've also restarted x server every time I made changes, and I have uploaded my icon theme again. I'm just missing something for it to change the icons for the docx etc... files.

Oh and on a side note, I've noticed that the gnome icon theme will have icons for those files, there are some strange file names in the mimetypes of the gnome icon theme. I tried using those filenames and still wasn't able to get any icons displayed for those files from my theme.

Last edited by MTGap on Mon May 11, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Given that you have tried to manually add it, you will probably want to rebuild the XDG MIME database on your system first, then rebuild the Sycoca.
Code: Select all
kbuildsycoca4

If it does not exist you can use the following command on one of the files to get their mime type.
Code: Select all
file --mimetype

Then create the desired mimetype in System Settings > Advanced > File Associations.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]