This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Mac like way of switching desktops?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Oceanwatcher
Registered Member
OS
Is there a way of getting the Mac style of switching desktops to KDE4? I really like it and think it gives you a very good control and overview.

Maybe there is an animation that can be installed?

Regards,

Oceanwatcher
Kubuntu 11.04 - KDE 4.6.3 - Intel dual core 2.0 GHz - 2GB RAM - nVidia GeForce GO 7400
Zarin
KDE Developer
OS
What exactly is the "Mac-like way" of switching desktops? Is it like KWin's desktop grid effect (Video)?

If so it can be enabled in System Settings -> Desktop -> All Effects.

Last edited by Zarin on Sat May 16, 2009 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oceanwatcher
Registered Member
OS
Zarin wrote:What exactly is the "Mac-like way" of switching desktops? Is it like KWin's desktop grid effect (Video)?

If so it can be enabled in System Settings -> Desktop -> All Effects.

Yes. Very similar :-) And how do I enable that as an effect to switch between desktops? I have "No effect", "Slide" and "Desktop cube" in the dropdown in the Genertal tab. Yes, the grid effect is activated and it works by pressing CTRL-F8... But not if you click the switch icon in the task-bar or if I use the scroll-wheel of the mouse.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Oceanwatcher
Kubuntu 11.04 - KDE 4.6.3 - Intel dual core 2.0 GHz - 2GB RAM - nVidia GeForce GO 7400
Hans
Administrator
OS
You can't. Try "Slide" - as far as I know, it's pretty similar to how Mac OS X does it.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Oceanwatcher
Registered Member
OS
Hans wrote:You can't. Try "Slide" - as far as I know, it's pretty similar to how Mac OS X does it.

A real pity. Slide is far from the Mac way of doing it. Grid is as close as you can get. As far as I can see there are two options - CTRL-F8 and you can also enable a screen edge effect. Maybe it is better to try to find a better keyboard shortcut for it... maybe use the Windows key in a combination with a letter. CTRL and F8 are so far apart that you almost need to use two hands...

Regards,

Oceanwatcher
Hans
Administrator
OS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7MHup6kXbU at the end. Looks like Slide to me?

So if I understand you correctly. you want to show a zoom out, zoom in effect when switching desktop with e.g. pager? I don't really see the point of it, so it would be great if you could explain a little bit. (And according to the video, this isn't how you switch between spaces in Mac OS X; rather, there seems to be an equivalent effect to "Desktop Grid" that lets you switch between spaces).

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Oceanwatcher
Registered Member
OS
Hans wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7MHup6kXbU at the end. Looks like Slide to me?

So if I understand you correctly. you want to show a zoom out, zoom in effect when switching desktop with e.g. pager? I don't really see the point of it, so it would be great if you could explain a little bit. (And according to the video, this isn't how you switch between spaces in Mac OS X; rather, there seems to be an equivalent effect to "Desktop Grid" that lets you switch between spaces).

Sure, could be. I am sitting next to a friend here now, and the way he switches between spaces is the zoom out and click on the desktop you want.

If you have more than one desktop - like 4 - I think it can be a very effective way of switching. Gives you an instant overview of the different desktops and allows you to pick the right one. :-)

Regards,

Oceanwatcher
pansz
Registered Member
OS
Oceanwatcher wrote:If you have more than one desktop - like 4 - I think it can be a very effective way of switching. Gives you an instant overview of the different desktops and allows you to pick the right one. :-)

afaik this is possible in KWin4 desktop effects.

however, this "effective" way doesn't seem efficient for me. consider how many seconds you need to switch a desktop. If you switch desktop frequently you won't want this. I want desktop switch be performed within 0.5 seconds.
Pconfig
Alumni
OS
What about doing this

System settings --> Desktop --> Screen edges

Then choose the screen edge you want, select desktop grid for it, click apply, go to the screen edge you selected and voila ;)
Oceanwatcher
Registered Member
OS
Pconfig wrote:What about doing this

System settings --> Desktop --> Screen edges

Then choose the screen edge you want, select desktop grid for it, click apply, go to the screen edge you selected and voila ;)

A little quote from my post a little further up in this thread:

As far as I can see there are two options - CTRL-F8 and you can also enable a screen edge effect.

Regards,

Oceanwatcher
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
So is this solved, or is there still something you want it to do that it can't?

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Oceanwatcher
Registered Member
OS
TheBlackCat wrote:So is this solved, or is there still something you want it to do that it can't?

I am going to put it as solved, but I would like it to be possible to put grid as one of the standard ways of switching the desktop.

I changed the keyboard shortcut to Windows-x instead of CTRL-F8 as it is easier to do with one hand. So it works ok for me now. Can always hope for more in the future :-)

Sorry for not setting it to solved earlier.

Regards,

Oceanwatcher