This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE 3.5.10 - several questions

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
waterkip
Registered Member

KDE 3.5.10 - several questions

Mon May 25, 2009 6:56 pm
Hi all,

I have several questions regarding KDE and some settings.

1) Is it possible to set some post/pre actions for the screensaver, since I want to mute/unmute sound when I lock my box.

2) Is it possible for KDE to respect the TZ variable (or be able to set the TZ of the shell based on the KDE enviroment)?

Thanks!

waterkip, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: KDE 3.5.10 - several questions

Tue May 26, 2009 4:57 am
You may be able to run a script which sets the appropriate TZ variable from KDE settings, assuming a utility exists to retrieve it ( you may have to grep a file in the users KDE configuration )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
anda_skoa
KDE Developer
OS

Tue May 26, 2009 5:20 pm
waterkip wrote:1) Is it possible to set some post/pre actions for the screensaver, since I want to mute/unmute sound when I lock my box.

Yes.
KDE runs the kdesktop_lock executable.
If you rename the actual executable to and add a script with the original name, you can call anything before and after calling the renamed binary.
Actually some distributors already do this.

waterkip wrote:2) Is it possible for KDE to respect the TZ variable (or be able to set the TZ of the shell based on the KDE enviroment)?

Additionally to what bcooksley wrote, try using the KDE environment extender mechanism, i.e. a sh-syntax file (and with .sh extension) in .kde/env
Such files will be sourced by KDE's start script "startkde"

Cheers,
_

anda_skoa, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
waterkip
Registered Member

Wed May 27, 2009 1:11 pm
Thnx, I will have a look later this week!

waterkip, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.