This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] KDE you just drain my will to live with your taskbar :|

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
terminalannoyed
Registered Member
I have put up with KDE and the bugginess for years now, and FINALLY you start improving, no nvidia problems, no vmware problems etc.. a joy..

BUT ... what you guys have done to 'my taskbar' simply sucks all life from me

*** I want my K-menu button SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF THAT TASKBAR, RIGHT NOW!
*** LET
ME
RESIZE
THE
PANELS
FOR
CRYING OUT LOUD

I WANT THE TASKMANAGER TO BE 2 PIXELS WIDE FOR ALL I CARE, NOOOOOOOOOT FILLING UP THE ENTIRE TASKBAR EVEN WHEN I ONLY HAVE ONE APP OPEN

Just tell me; Who did this to me, and why hasn't he or she been banished from earthly society in general!??!?!

What a LOAD of CR*P people :(

(went from kde3.5 to 4.2.2 and YES I registered especially to vent this hellish agony of mine ;) )

Last edited by terminalannoyed on Sat May 30, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zayed
Registered Member
OS
Hold on please, set and take deep breathes. Take it easy.

terminalannoyed
Registered Member
Zayed wrote:Hold on please, set and take deep breathes. Take it easy.

Ok;

I've been puffing into this brown bag for a couple of hours, but it's not working :|

I installed a new 1Tb-hd ystrdy with a new kde-system, but if I can't find a way to decentize my taskbar, I'm done with kde forgood and I mean that, after using it for years.

Though I am not the brightest of ppl, so am I missing something!? Is there perhaps a theme of some sorts with a decent taskbar? one where I can just put the k-menu button in the center of the bar, clock next to it, a bit larger font inthere aswell, adjust the color etc?

Otherwise I just can't understand the tremendous ignorance of the designers....

in short; why couldn't they have just left me alone *cry*
ash
Registered Member
FROM ALL changes in kde 4.2 you bash the taskbar ? i want some of the treecko you're on ^_^

i also want your pc. i can give you my celeron 2.60 instead

use short panel that has some of the widgets. set its expansion limits to your liking. then place the other widgets directly on the desktop inline with the panel. they won't get pushed away

the panel as is is useable. the taskbar shrinks automatically if space is needed for other widgets and does it well (i did not have failures with this feature)

there are no location sliders like in kde 3 or similar functionlity

if you install kde 4.3 beta you can play a bit more with pamel clear space but its not working properly now
terminalannoyed
Registered Member
LOL ash ;) THnx for the tip

*sigh* I feel a bit violated, because you are right; I have been accidentally licking toads recently, for a guy losing it over a taskbar while there is still OSS and USBaudio left... drives themthere three wheels 'steadda 4..

Well, I got meself svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/pl ... anelspacer and that does the trick for me..

I must admit however that I am not quite sure that my escapade has anything to to with toad-licking because the fabulous new visuals of this taskbar make me feel sorta like being in LEGO-land, and I figure they will fry some more brains here and there.

There is not a decent theme to be found, there is not a single decent icon around, this is pure horror, and I bet it will bring down many fine distributions like kubuntu. For I've tried 100 themes, and I've seen yellow, blackblackblack, ORANGE, but not a decent color, serious individuals are simply not interested in this.

The funny thing is that when you click the menu button, a perfect (classic) menu pops up, clearly visible... would you believe that... a brilliant menu sat on top of an orange mangled in-configurable excuse for a task-bar...

Solve the main problem via spacer-widgets, lego-land is unsolvable

Last edited by terminalannoyed on Sat May 30, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
First, you can resize the panel any way you want. You can make it fixed-width, variable-width, and any height you want. The panel can be set to resize automatically depending on how much space the stuff in it needs. So, for instance, it can grow or shrink depending on the number of open applications in the task manager. It does not have to resize, you can make it a fixed size, but it can. It can also be centered any way you want as well. So for instance you can set it to be right-aligned, put your task bar and system tray on the left, then position it so your application launcher is right in the middle. That way, as the task manager needs more space it will grow to the left without changing the position of the application launcher. You could also do the opposite, have it left-aligned and put the task manager and system tray on the right. The end result would be the same. There is even a little line showing you where the center of the screen is.

Second, what color do you want? So far on my computer there are black, white, blue, orange, pink, purple, gray, and fully transparent themes, for most of those there are at least 3 or 4 shades of that color. As for the icon, you can set any icon you want in trunk, although I am not sure about 4.2. I think there are some themes that follow your system color scheme, although I don't recall which ones because I prefer the black desktop color schemes myself.

Last edited by TheBlackCat on Sun May 31, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
ash
Registered Member
i think the lego land is awesome. i use kde 3 most of the time cause its performance is way better than kde 4

in kde 4 i dont like much the default themes. i use a theme mixed up from kde 4.1 oxygen (task items) + kde 4.2 oxygen (panel background) + naked (everything else). i have desktop effects (and panel transparency) disabled
terminalannoyed
Registered Member
I use 4.2.2,

I just like the classic look, when I set the menu to classic, at least the menu is ok but I cant find any theme that just gives me the same color taskbar, sorta grey-ish with black text. I am nogood at creating one myself,
but just a plain and simple black on grey would do

I compiled a spacer, that only works so so.. but it will do

Last edited by terminalannoyed on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Regarding the connection problems, that is because we have been having some load issues, as said in the announcement by sayakb.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Ahmad Samir
Registered Member
OS
terminalannoyed wrote:I use 4.2.2,

I just like the classic look, when I set the menu to classic, at least the menu is ok but I cant find any theme that just gives me the same color taskbar, sorta grey-ish with black text. I am nogood at creating one myself,
but just a plain and simple black on grey would do

I compiled a spacer, that only works so so.. but it will do

I think you can use the Aya theme, it's supposed to respect the system colour scheme.
dorkus
Registered Member
@terminalannoyed

Yeh, it bugs me too, I'm a tech, I spend most of my time in the command line using VIM and editing/writing code, the only reason I run a GUI is because it makes having twenty-odd konsole windows open at the same time easier to manage.

I have a panel at the top with the menu's, the time, Firefox and Konsole etc and at the bottom of my screen I have a big fat taskbar panel.

Because of how I work the KDE taskbar is one of the few things I actually use in KDE, I need it to work how I want it to work, oddly enough just like it did in 3.5 or strangely just like it does in Gnome now...

Probably why I switched to Gnome a few months back... It works how I want it to work and it doesn't argue with me or get in my way...

Well, when I say I switched to Gnome, it's only partly true, I install both Gnome and KDE, use Gnome as the desktop manager and run the KDE apps I need from within that - best of both worlds :)