This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

OS X file highlighting/marking

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Fallhallen
Registered Member
OS

OS X file highlighting/marking

Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:36 am
Hello,

I am trying to find a way that is comparable to the OS X file Highlighting/marking option. In OS X you can individually assign different colors to files, folders, programs, etc... I used this option religiously on my Mac, and am trying to find a way comparable in KDE 4.2 but cannot see the possibility. It helps a lot when you have, oh lets say 12 seasons of X-files and you want to mark the episodes you have watched so it is easily recognizable which one is next in the list.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Maki
Registered Member
OS

RE: OS X file highlighting/marking

Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:11 am
You can use nepomuk tags to tag the files/folders, with whatever you wan't, then just search for the tag, you can even put comments for stuff.
However, i think adding graphic tags to nepomuk would be really, since it has served us really well in real life for various tasks.

Also, this topic should be in brainstorm

Maki, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:00 pm
open dolphin - right click on desired file/folder, select properties, click on icon to change it to whatever

HTH

Debian testing
Fallhallen
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:18 pm
[quote='Maki' pid='79497' dateline='1244283083']
You can use nepomuk tags to tag the files/folders, with whatever you wan't, then just search for the tag, you can even put comments for stuff.
However, i think adding graphic tags to nepomuk would be really, since it has served us really well in real life for various tasks.

Also, this topic should be in brainstorm

Thanks, I guess the only thing I can do now is just add tags and user rating stars to the file. It only appears when hovering your mouse over the file, or select the file, but its better than nothing. Thanks for the comments.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:11 pm
If you want to change the color of folders, there is a service menu for that (at least for Konqueror in KDE 3.5.x). Check kde-look.org. It basically just changes the icon of the folder, but it's faster to use a service menu than doing it "manually".

Edit: Here's an example. Unfortunately, I don't know if it works in KDE4 or not.

Last edited by Hans on Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:47 pm
Hans wrote:Edit: Here's an example. Unfortunately, I don't know if it works in KDE4 or not.

I'm using that one in KDE4, although it needs some tweaking to work. The following script takes care of that:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.ph ... tent=80131

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Fallhallen
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:15 pm
Thanks, but it appears this only works for folders. I need file support also. Right now I am just adding user comments, tags and stars under Dolphin.