This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Hotkey application launching

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Mesa Virga
Registered Member
OS
Sorry, I think I might be hitting the forum quite a bit whilst I try to get KDE4 up and running to my satisfaction. To that end, I have a questions:

Is it possible to have an application launch via a hotkey? Under Fluxbox I use xbindkeys to launch a calculator on the "calculator" button on my keyboard and the "sleep" button runs "xscreensaver-command --lock" - can I emulate this kind behaviour under kde4? I have some khotkeys shortcuts claiming to do some rather random things under global hotkey setup, but I can't find a way to alter the actions.

Thanks,

Matt.

Matt.

"The idea that an arbitrary naive human should be able to properly use a given tool without training or understanding is even more wrong for computing than it is for other tools (e.g. automobiles, airplanes, guns, power saws)." - Doug Gwyn
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

[SOLVED] Hotkey application launching

Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:02 pm
You should be able to use "Input Actions" in System Settings to accomplish this.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Mesa Virga
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:You should be able to use "Input Actions" in System Settings to accomplish this.

Ah-ha! Thanks! I would have come back sooner, but it seems I forgot to subscribe to this thread...

EDIT: Though apparently Qt doesn't support the "sleep" button. This isn't a biggie for me.

Last edited by Mesa Virga on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt.

"The idea that an arbitrary naive human should be able to properly use a given tool without training or understanding is even more wrong for computing than it is for other tools (e.g. automobiles, airplanes, guns, power saws)." - Doug Gwyn