This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Widgets floating in the desktop instead of being inside the taskbar panel.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jmicheli
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
I am a beginner in Linux and recently installed it in my machine for the first time; I am running Fedora 10 + KDE 4.2.3. In one of the first times that I started my machine running Linux I thought it was ready to use when the application launcher (kickoff) became available. I clicked on it and started an application; this caused my machine to "jam". Well, at least until the start-up music was played. In my anger, thinking that the thing was really stuck, I started clicking everywhere in the screen (sorry, but some old windows' habits dye hard). The problem is that, after playing the initialization music, everything started working properly, including my previous clicks. The result is that now the System Tray and the Task Manager are floating in the desktop area while the clock is taking the hole panel! I tried to move the widgets back to the taskbar, but didn't work at all. I also tried to remove and re-install them (typical windows solution :thumbs_down:), but no positive result again.
Anyone has any other tip of how to put these widgets back tot he taskbar?
I could see a question where the guy made the same thing and it he was guided to restore the taskbar to the default, but the command will restore the whole desktop to the default and I don't want that. I had made some other configurations to the desktop that I would like to keep.
Many thanks,
Eduardo
Hans
Administrator
OS
Which KDE version? If your widgets are unlocked, you should be able to simple drag and drop widgets to the panel (either from the desktop or Add Widgets dialog).

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
jmicheli
Registered Member
OS
Hans wrote:Which KDE version? If your widgets are unlocked, you should be able to simple drag and drop widgets to the panel (either from the desktop or Add Widgets dialog).

Hello Hans,
I thought I had mentioned that I am using KDE 4.2. Probably I thogut in doing it and hadn't done. Sorry, my bad.
Widgets are unlocked.
Thanks,
Eduardo
jmicheli
Registered Member
OS
Forgot to mention that When I try to move the System Tray, it goes under the taskbar, but don't goes inside it. The Task Manager simply stays stuck below the "Desktop Folder"; it doesn't move.
Thanks,
Eduardo

Last edited by jmicheli on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans
Administrator
OS
jmicheli wrote:Hello Hans,
I thought I had mentioned that I am using KDE 4.2. Probably I thogut in doing it and hadn't done. Sorry, my bad.
Widgets are unlocked.
Thanks,
Eduardo

No, you did include it in the first post - my bad. Sorry about that.

You could try to right click on panel -> Panel Options -> Add Widgets... -> [Select the widget you want to add] -> Add Widget. Since you opened the dialog from the panel, the widget should appear in the panel.

You could also try to create a new panel (e.g. right click on desktop -> Add Panel) and see if you can add widgets to it.

Hope it helps!

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
jmicheli
Registered Member
OS
[quote=Hans]

You could try to right click on panel -> Panel Options -> Add Widgets... -> [Select the widget you want to add] -> Add Widget. Since you opened the dialog from the panel, the widget should appear in the panel.

[/quote]

In fact, this one I had already tried. When I right click on panel -> Panel Options -> Add Widgets the widgets that I want already are marked as added, but they are not in the panel, they are floating in the desktop. That's why I tried to remove and re-install them; I thought that by removing them I would reset their last position and, when re-installing, they would re-apear in the default position, but it didn't worked, too! :-(

[quote=Hans]

You could also try to create a new panel (e.g. right click on desktop -> Add Panel) and see if you can add widgets to it.

[/quote]

I'll try that.
Thanks
Eduardo.

Last edited by jmicheli on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmicheli
Registered Member
OS
jmicheli wrote:
[quote=Hans]

I'll try that.
Thanks
Eduardo.
[/quote]

Ok!
I did it and it worked. I could not install add them directly, because they were already added; I have first to remove and them re-add. The matter is that now I have two panels, but no problem. Latter I will remove the original one and try to install everything in a new one.
Thanks again,
Eduardo

Last edited by jmicheli on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.