This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Any plans for an Air theme for the login?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Oceanwatcher
Registered Member
OS
The login dialog is kinda between ugly and nice. Why?

Take a look at it the next time you log in.

The edge is ok, but everything inside is flat and square and could just as well have been part of a DOS based application in the mid 90ties ;D

Where is the depth of the boxes? Where is the look and feel of the Air theme reflected in it? This dialog box should get some serious work and it can not be that hard to move some of the design elements over there?

Regards,

Oceanwatcher
Kubuntu 11.04 - KDE 4.6.3 - Intel dual core 2.0 GHz - 2GB RAM - nVidia GeForce GO 7400
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Most distributions customise the KDM theme in use, as part of their theming.
I do not know if an Air theme for KDM is planned, you would have to ask Nuno.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
This one is okay:

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Bl ... ent=108036

Or the glassified kdm-theme (grey air but still)

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Oceanwatcher
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley -

When you put it this way, I understand that kdm is different from KDE (I already know about the Kubuntu/Ubuntu/KDE parts.

But this is not very obvious for any "normal user" as the only thing they see is something that is different from the rest of the design...

There has been a lot of talk about design, marketing, branding etc. and I think a good place to start is where it really shows - boot and login is an important part of this.

Kryten2X4B -

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Actually, I do not mind the grey background. I think it is a cool touch, but I would like the login dialog box to get a little design touch. If I just had some of the other artwork, I could give it a shot myself. I am not a great designer, but I am pretty decent with Photoshop for cutting bits and pieces together. At least I could make a suggestion and then maybe someone else would like to find a way to make it into something useable.

Any pointers to some tutorials how you make this login box look better would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Oceanwatcher
Kubuntu 11.04 - KDE 4.6.3 - Intel dual core 2.0 GHz - 2GB RAM - nVidia GeForce GO 7400
joethefox
Registered Member
OS
my actual workaround is called "Kdm theme generator": http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Kd ... ent=102760

I hope that fix for the moment the lack of an air kdm theme

joethefox, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
WildSioux
Registered Member
I have one that I made for the distro I am using with the air theme. I am still currently working on it. But it is working.