This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Mega Cursor

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
SomeOldFool
Registered Member
OS

Mega Cursor

Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:10 pm
I use Gnome on my desktop and laptop but use some KDE apps, so after a new install I always log in to KDE and make some tweaks. This time after installing Fedora 11 I returned to Gnome to find that KDE apps show a 1/8" wide black cursor like in a terminal, and using arrow keys to move the cursor seems to select the text (but in black not blue), however it's not really selected as it won't copy.

By KDE apps I mean renaming a file in Konqueror or Dolphin, or in the browse for file windows, etc. KDE apps like kate and kwrite aren't affected, and Gnome apps aren't affected either. As I use Konqueror for a file manager and rename files frequently this is driving me nervous. I reset everything I changed to the defaults but the problem persists (on both machines). It almost seems that logging in to KDE itself started the problem. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mike
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Mega Cursor

Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:25 am
Can you reproduce under a new user? It seems likely that this may be due to paths not being set correctly.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
SomeOldFool
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:51 pm
The problem started after I made some changes in KDE system settings, which I do after every new clean install of Fedora. I made the same changes I always do, but have not had the giant fat cursor happen before. It occurs in Kontact, Konqueror, Dolpin, etc., including open and save dialogs.

No paths have changed before or after I did the tweaks in KDE system settings. In any case I tried setting everything back to the defaults and that didn't help.
Mike
SomeOldFool
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:04 am
I found the problem. In the appearance section I had changed the widget style to plastique. When I changed it back to oxygen the huge black cursor disappeared. Further investigation shows the large cursor is present with plastique, cleanlooks, and motif, but not with oxygen, GTK+, CDE, and Windows. I had wanted plastique but GTK+ is good too so I'm using that.
Mike