This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Upgrade 3.5 to 4.2 and can't select 4 at login

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
constant
Registered Member
OS
What's really weird about this is that I have 2 pc's running openSUSE 10.3 and both were upgraded from 3.5 to 4.2 at the same time, but only one offers 4 as a session option at login.

I upgraded all the same stuff on both, and have checked that both are running the same versions of all the relevant stuff like kde, dbus etc.

I've searched these forums, and google without any result.

Regards
John

Last edited by constant on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It is likely that the "KDE" entry now simply starts up KDE 4.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
constant
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately not.

The one that works offers both, and the other starts 3.5 when KDE is selected.

Regards
John
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you please verify that there are no packages missing? The best way would probably be to compare the two machines.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
constant
Registered Member
OS
I've done that (as much as I practically can).

Is there a way to dump the package selection to a file and do a diff on the two files?

Thanks for your help.

Regards
John
constant
Registered Member
OS
Please forgive my initial laziness, I have found how to dump the installed package list.

I'll get back when I've had a chance to do a diff. The computers belong to a customer and I'll have to go there to do the work.

Regards
John
constant
Registered Member
OS
It took a little bit of doing but I've solved this issue.

I dumped the package list from both machines, used openoffice to turn the text into a table, deleted all but the name column, then sorted it alphabetically.

Then I used the uniq command "uniq file > newfile" to get rid of the duplicates.

I then used Meld to do a comparison of the two files and discovered I hadn't installed kde4session on the one machine I couldn't select kde4, and presto bingo, I could then select kde4 at login.

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction.

Btw, I see the earthquake you had the other week moved you a bit closer to us. Next think you know, you lot will be building a bridge, and then we'll have you all over here on the dole. :D

Regards
John