This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Common problems of KDE4 using Nvidia GPUs

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
KejPi
Registered Member
OS
amalji wrote:I use Nvidia 8600GT and the latest driver - 180.22 on
Ubuntu ( Kde 4.2 Beta )

It doesn't have any glitches at system tray. What does yours look like?

It looks like this. NVidia 180.22, Gentoo Linux, KDE 4.2, NV 9600GT currently no optimization flags in xorg.conf and no explicit settings in nvidia-settings. I used before what is recomended anywhere on internet but so far no success.

Could you please tell me what settings do you use?

KejPi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
KejPi
Registered Member
OS
New NVidia beta driver 180.25 has been released.

Let's hope it will finally fix graphical glitches ;-)

amalji
Registered Member
KejPi wrote:
Ubuntu ( Kde 4.2 Beta )

It looks like this. NVidia 180.22, Gentoo Linux, KDE 4.2, NV 9600GT currently no optimization flags in xorg.conf and no explicit settings in nvidia-settings. I used before what is recomended anywhere on internet but so far no success.

I don't think, this is a driver problem. I feel, it's due to incomplete kde upgrade.
Maybe, wait for the non-beta version of kde 4.2 which is already released and then update it.

Also try changing the theme to a different one, and then switch it back. :)
Pconfig
Alumni
OS
amalji wrote:
KejPi wrote:
Ubuntu ( Kde 4.2 Beta )

I don't think, this is a driver problem. I feel, it's due to incomplete kde upgrade.
Maybe, wait for the non-beta version of kde 4.2 which is already released and then update it.

Same problem here. Not always though and the problem resolves itself after a little while for me. Using nvidia 180.22. But as stated, that ain't a driver problem. The way tray icons are handled at the moment by xorg is just bad and outdated. That's why it doesn't fit in the argb model of kde.
s1300045
Registered Member
OS
I just want to report that after yesterday's update, kwin's cpu usage is running under 5% after I disable direct rendering. :) I have a Geforce 7300GT and use the 180.22 driver.The systray is still ugly though. Kudos to the devs!

Well, I am lost.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Is anyone else getting graphical glitches when they show hidden panels? The area where the panel will appear turns blue for a moment just before the panel slides into place.

Last edited by TheBlackCat on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
tkoski
Registered Member
OS
Just installed 180.25 and everything seems smoother than ever.

However i didn't really have problems since 180.18 anyway. But 180.25 is still a step forward!

Attitude before intelligence.
akoskm
Registered Member
OS
I'm not experiencing any step forward. My GPU core is still around 70-75C and the taskbar-icons are still blinking.

KejPi
Registered Member
OS
Pconfig wrote:
amalji wrote:
KejPi wrote:
Ubuntu ( Kde 4.2 Beta )

Same problem here. Not always though and the problem resolves itself after a little while for me. Using nvidia 180.22. But as stated, that ain't a driver problem. The way tray icons are handled at the moment by xorg is just bad and outdated. That's why it doesn't fit in the argb model of kde.

@amalji it is screenshot from final 4.2
@Pconfig How is it possible that it is mainly reported for NVidia if it is not driver problem? Currently I am using X server 1.3.0 (stable in Gentoo for AMD64) but in another discussion someone reported the same problem with X server 1.5.3

KejPi
Registered Member
OS
tkoski wrote:Just installed 180.25 and everything seems smoother than ever.

However i didn't really have problems since 180.18 anyway. But 180.25 is still a step forward!

Could you please share your settings?

TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
KejPi wrote:Could you please share your settings?

I second that, I am having a terrible time. Running it with desktop effects is almost unusable.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
tkoski
Registered Member
OS
KejPi wrote:
tkoski wrote:Just installed 180.25 and everything seems smoother than ever.

Could you please share your settings?

Sure! Sorry, I'm a bit dense... what settings you exactly want to see?

Attitude before intelligence.
amalji
Registered Member
KejPi wrote:How is it possible that it is mainly reported for NVidia if it is not driver problem? Currently I am using X server 1.3.0 (stable in Gentoo for AMD64) but in another discussion someone reported the same problem with X server 1.5.3

With Nvidia latest drivers installed and configured, and kde 4.2 properly setup, the taskbar displays as transparent by default. In your case, it's not the case. Did you change it manually after install ?

Did you try changing the theme and then back to Oxygen?

Also open your nvidia-settings and look for any warnings/errors.
KejPi
Registered Member
OS
amalji wrote:
KejPi wrote:How is it possible that it is mainly reported for NVidia if it is not driver problem? Currently I am using X server 1.3.0 (stable in Gentoo for AMD64) but in another discussion someone reported the same problem with X server 1.5.3

With Nvidia latest drivers installed and configured, and kde 4.2 properly setup, the taskbar displays as transparent by default. In your case, it's not the case. Did you change it manually after install ?

Did you try changing the theme and then back to Oxygen?

Also open your nvidia-settings and look for any warnings/errors.

There is a transparency in taskbar but it is not apparent from this small part of the screenshot. This is how the panel looks by default. I have also tried to change the theme and switch back to oxygen, I have played with "VSync" and "Direct rendering" enable/disable in desktop effects advanced setup and nothing helped. Sometimes the tray looks ok, but e.g. after several desktop switches (using slide efect), it becomes corrupted. It looks like that the icon background is not refreshed. I have also observed that opera icon is OK - but this is using the old standard and I guess it is not using ARGB which is IMHO the source of all problems in tray.

I believe I am not the only one who has these problems. I have seen on other sites in discussion that there are many people angry by this problem but apparently there is nobody who can help :-( I can only find answers like "for me it works" but how is it possible that for many people not? There has to be some "golden setup".

amalji
Registered Member
KejPi wrote:There is a transparency in taskbar but it is not apparent from this small part of the screenshot.

Infact, even from the small section of screenshot, it seems that your transparency which is part of desktop effects is not working properly. For me, this had happened once, and at that particular time, the other desktop effects like window wobble didn't work as well.

I had to re-install the Nvidia Driver to get that sorted out.