This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Common problems of KDE4 using Nvidia GPUs

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
KejPi
Registered Member
OS
amalji wrote:
KejPi wrote:There is a transparency in taskbar but it is not apparent from this small part of the screenshot.

Infact, even from the small section of screenshot, it seems that your transparency which is part of desktop effects is not working properly. For me, this had happened once, and at that particular time, the other desktop effects like window wobble didn't work as well.

I had to re-install the Nvidia Driver to get that sorted out.

Here you can see the full screenshot:
I think there is some transprency in the panel, isn't it? Or how it should look like?
I have no problem with any desktop effect - all seem to be working. I have only problems with tray :-(

KejPi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
maddog39
Registered Member
OS
Hmm... I'm running nvidia driver 180.22 on a GTX 260 Core 216 on Arch and so far havent run into any graphical or performance issues at all on KDE 4.
Arkold Thos
Registered Member
OS
Im running 190.53 drivers with a 8600GT on Debian, no performance issues anymore :)

ipwnyou
KejPi
Registered Member
OS
Well, yesterday I compiled new KDE4.4 RC2 on Gentoo and after first look there are grafical glitches again :-( There was no problem with KDE 4.3.x with exactly the same xorg.conf, the same NVidia driver and the same QT 4.6.1 :-(

When I want to add widgets in panel there is a special configuration panel next to panel where I can select new widgets, nevertheless by closing this panel it partially remains on screen. Can anybody else reproduce the problem?

KejPi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I cannot reproduce on KDE Trunk ( to be 4.5 ) with Intel graphics.
Using Qt 4.6.1, and autodetected settings ( no xorg.conf )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
KejPi
Registered Member
OS
I have found out that there is already a bug report existing for that.

Nontheless, yesterday I played with RC2 little bit and compositing is much slower compatring to 4.3.4 on the same hardware and the same X.org configuration :-( There are lags when some efect should appear. I was absolutely satisfied with performance of 4.3.x :-(
totsilence
Registered Member
OS
KejPi wrote:I have found out that there is already a bug report existing for that.

Nontheless, yesterday I played with RC2 little bit and compositing is much slower compatring to 4.3.4 on the same hardware and the same X.org configuration :-( There are lags when some efect should appear. I was absolutely satisfied with performance of 4.3.x :-(

I agree. Love most everything else about 4.4 though.
totsilence
Registered Member
OS
Qt 4.6.2 really improved performance for me (KDE SC 4.4)!
damnn
Registered Member
OS
Hi all :) ,

on my notebook i have a nvidia geforce 9200m gs and kde's performance aren't very good. Plasma and particulary the windows's resize are a bit slow.
I tried the various parameters that are linked in the first post but i didn't see big improvements.
Someone have this card? You can tell me what parameters i can try to add to my xorg.conf?

Thanks.
belnac
Registered Member
OS
I've just upgraded my Nvidia driver from 195.x (as per available in Kubuntu's repository) to 256.44) and, whereas I was having some performance issues before which got worse with longer uptimes, theses issues are now gone and the system feels much, much more snappier than before, even with all eye candy enabled!

BTW, I upgraded the driver by adding the PPA found at https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates [launchpad.net] and then running the normal update sequence. This should also update your Xorg server too to the latest stable release.

That sorted it for me.

EDIT: Your mileage may vary depending on your distro and specific circumstances (configurations, etc.)
linuxforall
Registered Member
OS
I use x-swat ppa as well for my 8400GS with 1GB ram. I have no issues except for blur consuming 30% of one of my 8 cores so had to disable it.
BartBlackMagic
Registered Member
OS
Today I installed the Liquorix kernel and now my system feels faster even more, except for one thing... resizing windows! When I disable desktop effects I don't have this problem. I disabled VSync, tested all OpenGL modes and texture filters but changing these options don't solve the resizing problem.
System: Intel T7500, Nvidia 8600m GT, Kubuntu 10.10, Nvidia 260.19.06
google01103
Manager
@Tobiasgar - disable translucency, if that fixes it the change the settings for translucency as there's an option to set menu translucency independently systemsettings -> desktop effects -> all effects -> translucency -> wrench icon -> then make all options for menu opaque

ps you probably should have opened a new thread

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x