This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Mutiple Device Entries in Device Actions - System Settings

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
1linuxfreak
Registered Member
OS
My Device Actions - System Settings has multiple entries for the same Device , checked my other SuSE install there are just single entries , how can I clear the entries . Image Image
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you try under a new user do they appear?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
1linuxfreak
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you please ensure that your system is fully updated? There may be residual packages left behind. In particular I think the kde4-* packages were phased out for 4.3, so try to remove them.

KDE Sysadmin
1linuxfreak
Registered Member
OS
System was fully updated as of yesterday and has been kept up to date through out the kde development phases , current it is KDE4.3 "release 155".
Okay , looking there are several references to kde , /etc-kde4 , /opt-kde3 , /usr/lib-kde4 /usr/share-kde4 , /tmp-4 entries of kde , and of course /home-kde and kde4 , which I removed the kde4 entry there and let kde rebuild that one .
So can you please be a little more specific as to which kde you are referencing .
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I am referring to the packages in YaST > Package Management. For 4.3 I believe the kde4-* naming was phased out.

KDE Sysadmin
1linuxfreak
Registered Member
OS
I am using KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop repository , I went to SuSE DL site and saw 4.3 and 4.4 packages in One Click , after clicking 'One Click' it is the same repository which I am using currently , the KDE repository I listed at first of sentence .
I can't remove the entries from the Device Actions - System Setting , I can remove sub categories under each entry , but not the entry itself , and as you see one will not allow any access to it at all , it says to reset and file a bug report , which I have done , but no response to that yet .
1linuxfreak
Registered Member
OS
Anyone else have any insight as to how to cure this problem ?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you please provide a listing of files in /usr/share/apps/solid/actions/ ?

KDE Sysadmin
1linuxfreak
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Can you please provide a listing of files in /usr/share/apps/solid/actions/ ?

/usr/share/apps/solid/actions/ does not exist /usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/ does , and here is the contents of it :
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/digikam-opencamera.desktop
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/k3b_audiocd_rip.desktop
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/k3b_copy_disc.desktop
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/k3b_create_audio_cd_from_blank_medium.desktop
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/k3b_create_data_project_from_blank_medium.desktop
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/k3b_videodvd_rip.desktop
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/kaffeine_play_audiocd.desktop
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/kaffeine_play_dvd.desktop
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/kaffeine_play_videocd.desktop
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/kscd-play-audiocd.desktop
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/solid_audiocd.desktop
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/solid_camera.desktop
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/test-predicate-openinwindow.desktop

Hope this is what you were wanting .
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The multiple listings is due to a problem in the solid_audiocd.desktop and solid_camera.desktop files. I will be discussing this with the KDE Hardware team, and these will likely be renamed for 4.4. In addition the broken file will be fixed.

The broken file fix will likely be included in KDE 4.3.1, but the naming fix may not unfortunately.

Problem reproduced at Trunk.

KDE Sysadmin
1linuxfreak
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:The multiple listings is due to a problem in the solid_audiocd.desktop and solid_camera.desktop files. I will be discussing this with the KDE Hardware team, and these will likely be renamed for 4.4. In addition the broken file will be fixed.

The broken file fix will likely be included in KDE 4.3.1, but the naming fix may not unfortunately.

Problem reproduced at Trunk.

Is there a work around that I can use to patch this problem , or am I stuck with it for now ?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately no fix is available. We will likely ( assuming I get a response ) fix this for the next releases.

KDE Sysadmin
1linuxfreak
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Unfortunately no fix is available. We will likely ( assuming I get a response ) fix this for the next releases.

Well looking forward to SuSE 11.2 now more than ever .
This seems to keep a CD from being registered when mounted , the CD mounts but no access to data .
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
As an immediate solution, try removing /usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/solid_*.desktop
then running kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental.

KDE Sysadmin