This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[KDE4] Qt applications are back to plastic

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Elv13
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

Every Qt (and GTK apps using gtk-engine-qt) restarted to use the Plastic style for (apparently)no reason. I deleted .config/Trolltech, .config/Nokia and .qt config files, but it did not work. All other KDE applications use the right style and right color sheme.

I could use qtconfig to select a theme, but this solution does not work, because I can't select a KDE color sheme (I use a dark one). Whats wrong and how can I fix it?

KDE 4.3.1 and 4.4-svn installed. Even if I turn 4.4 off, the problem is still there (it ain't a recent svn trunk regression, exept if it modified a config file).

EDIT: I added -as-needed to my default GCC flag, but I did not compiled that much stuff (not Qt) since that moment, can it be related?

Elv13, proud KDE user since KDE 2.2.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Try opening Qt applications with the -style oxygen argument and see if they load with Oxygen. You may need to rebuild kdebase if this works.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Elv13
Registered Member
OS
No, it load Redmond style (windows classic) and doesn't use KDE colors... I did rebuild KDE from trunk 3 time since the problem appeared (a cron job do it every night) and it did not solve the problem, nor reverting to the "stable" installation (branches).

Does anybody using 4.4 can confirm this regression? It is probably on my side, but why so suddently? I use trunk since 2006 (KDE4 Krash 1 era builds) with the same cron job on the same system and it is the first time I see that.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I do not know why Oxygen would only load for KDE applications, and never for Qt applications since there should be no difference.

The only thing I can think of is an old oxygen style which has somehow broken compatibility with the Qt apps ( different Qt versions? )

KDE Sysadmin
Elv13
Registered Member
OS
I use Redmond style, it is not Oxygen. I don't think Redmond/Windows style is under heavy development ;), but I tested with Qt and Bespin too, both fail to load. I am currently looking at libjpeg. KDE apps use only SVG and PNG, but Qt use jpg too, if the transition from jpen6 to jpeg7 went wrong, and because my uptime was huge ( > than 100 days), the fact that I was rebooted and the lib was loaded in memory since many months may cause the problem, but it is hypothetical, and quite unlikely, but possible.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Oops. Yes, the ABI/API changing of any libraries that Redmond style is dependent upon would definitely cause this problem.

KDE Sysadmin
Elv13
Registered Member
OS
Thats not the problem, I created a new account and copied ~/.kde to it, theme work just fine. I deleted .qt, .config/Troll* .config/Nokia* -rf and it really does not work, where is hidded the other config file?

EDIT: Using the .config/Trolltech.conf file from the newly created account worked (why?). The one created by my main account does not. So, for now, it is fixed. However, the problem may come back sooner or later when Qt will try to update the file...