This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

System Monitor CPU Applet Misbehavior

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wmichaelb
Registered Member
OS
Hi, I'm running KDE 4.2 on a 3.06 GHz P4/1 GB/400 GB/GeForce 6200 running PC-BSD 7.1.1. I really like being able to monitor my CPU's loading, and to do so, I need to see the System Monitor CPU monitor widget on the lower task bar. But the only way I've found to get it to start is:

- Click on lower task bar cashew
- Add the overall System Monitor widget, the one that will display multiple device monitors.
- Then, add the System Monitor CPU monitor widget as well.

The CPU monitor then inserts itself into the lower task bar, and begins to run, just as it should. However:

- It will not start without the overall System Monitor widget having been installed first;
- If I reboot, it disappears, and a CPU icon appears on the left side of the system updater tray, instead of the right hand side where it was running the last time I installed it. If I click on this icon, the widget will not start.

- To get the widget to start within the lower taskbar, I have to uninstall and then re-add this widget.

Is there any way to force this widget to automatically start at boot?

Thanks!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I have a System Monitor Temperature applet installed constantly on my KDE Trunk desktop, and it does not need the main "System Monitor" applet at all. Is it possible that the services which provide information about hardware such as HAL are not running when you login to your desktop?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
wmichaelb
Registered Member
OS
That could explain the behavior that I'm seeing. Can you please either identify what's needed, or alternatively, recommend a link or other reference that addresses that issue?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
What is needed is for HAL to be running before your desktop is started. Placing it in a lower runlevel will probably help with this.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]