This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Default appearance

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bugmenott
Registered Member
OS

Default appearance

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:57 pm
Hi. I noticed (from the first time I used KDE) that KDE by default looks too much like windoze and I wanted to know. Is there any good reason why it must look like windoze (instead of say Sabayon KDE default look, gnome or xfce default look or anything non-windoze like)?
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: Default appearance

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:16 pm

Doesn't look too similar to me (other than panel items). Could you please point out what exactly you mean with "looks too much like windoze"?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
lumiwa
Registered Member
OS

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:43 pm
Yes, IMO looks like Windows and it is bloated as Windows too. Try to show on the Windows picture the same as you did on KDE and you will see.
Maybe and I hope version 5.0 would be what is now KDE 3.5.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:03 pm
lumiwa wrote:Yes, IMO looks like Windows and it is bloated as Windows too.

Both can be remedied quite easily though. The default look is just that, the default (and usually different in different distros as well) and is easily changed to something that suits your taste and workflow better.

Same thing about the bloatedness. The bare essentials doesn't take up much space, either on disk or in memory. Just because most (that I know of) distros with a KDE installation option chooses to install, for example, Kontact and Amarok it doesn't mean you have to use them or keep them installed.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.