This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Different wallpaper for each desktop?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
housiemousie2
Registered Member
OS
Perhaps I am lacking the right terms to search effectively, but my attempts to discover if KDE4 will gain the KDE3 trick of having a different wallpaper for each desktop (or if it already allows this, but the setting is hidden somewhere) has been met with a barrage of useless results... mostly involving images to use as wallpapers. :/

Anyone happen to know if this is already possible or if it is in the works for a future release?

I'm a repository girl... so I will wait for a future release to make it into the repos, but I am using 4.2.2 (Jaunty) right now... and not really liking it. I need to be able to use Kopete to connect to Yahoo and the KDE3 workaround didn't work for me, or I would still be using KDE3 Hardy Heron LTS and waiting for the next LTS.

Thanks for your time!
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
You need to set each desktop to have a different activity. In 4.3, you need to click the cashew (the little yellow arc in the upper-right corner of the screen) and click "configure plasma" and then check the "different activity for each desktop" icon. It is possible in 4.2, but if I recall correctly you need to edit a configuration file because there is not GUI for it. I don't know what the setting is or what file it goes in, though.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
The setting is perVirtualDesktopViews=true in the plasmarc file (plasma-desktoprc in 4.3). Though i am not sure how reliable it works in 4.2.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
RGB
Registered Member
OS
neverendingo wrote:Though i am not sure how reliable it works in 4.2.

It is not reliable on 4.3.1 either:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=199729
Oh well, this is the only problem I have with 4.3.1 so far ;)

RGB, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
And proud to be a kde user since 1.1.2