This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Unable to edit kickoff menu items

Tags: menu, menu editor, kickoff, editing menu, menu editor, kickoff, editing menu, menu editor, kickoff, editing
(comma "," separated)
bolenti
Registered Member
OS

Unable to edit kickoff menu items

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:47 am
Hello,
Although i can open KDE Menu Editor application, modify and save my settings, the menu doesn't change (either login as a user or root).

Can someone please give me some clues to solve this problem.

Thanking you,
bolenti
vbatts
Registered Member
OS
if you right click on the menu, and choose "Switch to Classic Menu Style", do your changes appear in that menu?

vbatts, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Sep.

http://hashbangbash.com/
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Also, which version of KDE are you using, and have you tried running "kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental" and logging out and back in again after making changes?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
bolenti
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
First, thanks for your responses.

When Switch to Classic Menu Style no changes appear. I have tried running kbuildsycoca4 as stated below but it didn't work. I am on a self compiled KDE 4.3.2

Ok here i have some new information. I've run kmenueditor from a terminal and i get the following error message:

"trying to create local folder /home/david:: Permission non accordée"

However I am currently logged in as the user "david", is there some special permission to be set?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
No special permissions are required. Please run the following:
Code: Select all
sudo chown -R david:users /home/david

KDE Sysadmin
bolenti
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:No special permissions are required. Please run the following:
Code: Select all
sudo chown -R david:users /home/david

I have tried this but i get the same error message from the terminal although kdemenuedit is running as user "david" and user "david" is in the "users" group.

When i try to launch kdemenuedit as root the program opens and then i get this message:
QMutex::lock: Deadlock detected in thread -1243965696
Then the interface of kdemenuedit does not react anymore.

Currently, as temporary solution, i have added the menu items by copying some .desktop files in /opt/kde/share/applications/kde4/
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
That is also a functional solution to the issue. I do not know why KMenuEdit would be trying to create your $HOME, but it would possibly be worth ensuring that the $HOME variable is correctly set, and that the $KDEHOME variable is also correctly set ( to ~/.kde4 usually )

KDE Sysadmin
bolenti
Registered Member
OS
I have managed to solve the problem by setting my environment variables as per http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x. Thank you for your help.

bolenti