This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kanji barely visible in certain situations

Tags: kanji, font, dolphin, kwin kanji, font, dolphin, kwin kanji, font, dolphin, kwin
(comma "," separated)
aabbqrstp
Registered Member
OS
For some reason kanji are shown in very light grey when highlighting files in Dolphin or in window titles in the taskbar.

Anyone else got this problem or knows how to fix this?

Using Kubuntu Karmic (though I also had this problem under Jaunty...)
KDE 4.3.2
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
I don't know what language Kanji is (or is it a more generic language family such as indo-european? Or maybe just the script type?), but unless there are others here that has run into the problem, which there may very well be, I'd be willing to see if I can duplicate the problem and see if it's a more generic problem if you could just provide a file with a filename in Kanji.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
aabbqrstp
Registered Member
OS
Kryten2X4B wrote:I don't know what language Kanji is (or is it a more generic language family such as indo-european? Or maybe just the script type?), but unless there are others here that has run into the problem, which there may very well be, I'd be willing to see if I can duplicate the problem and see if it's a more generic problem if you could just provide a file with a filename in Kanji.

Ah, sorry. Maybe I should have written Japanese/Chinese characters....
Thanks for your help. You can try using this as a file name:
Code: Select all
例例例例
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
aabbqrstp wrote:Ah, sorry. Maybe I should have written Japanese/Chinese characters....

No problem. I knew it was an asian language, but not which one and what difference it may make. Better safe than sorry really.

Anyway, I tried with those characters as a filename and I get none of your problems.

Take a look:

First, in the window-title.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29319276@N ... 634/#/edit

Secondly, with the file not highlighted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29319276@N ... 279/#/edit

Thirdly, with the file highlighted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29319276@N02/4018225606/

And finally, in the taskbar (look at the one in the upper left. I don't use the standard one normally so I added one temporarily).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29319276@N02/4017492815/

As far as I can tell, it looks like it should. As far as a solution goes, I can think of one although it's rather far-fetched. See if it makes a difference how the font-settings in system-settings are (anti-aliasing, hinting, and the like). I say far-fetched because if that's the reason it should really affect non-Kanji stuff as well.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but it seems as your problems should be fixable somehow even if I right now can't think of what's exactly the problem.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
aabbqrstp
Registered Member
OS
Kryten2X4B wrote:As far as I can tell, it looks like it should. As far as a solution goes, I can think of one although it's rather far-fetched. See if it makes a difference how the font-settings in system-settings are (anti-aliasing, hinting, and the like). I say far-fetched because if that's the reason it should really affect non-Kanji stuff as well.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but it seems as your problems should be fixable somehow even if I right now can't think of what's exactly the problem.

Thank you.
You are right, the problem is with the anti-aliasing, if I disable it the problem disappears.
Strange though, I was sure I had tried to change those settings before without any results...

Only problem now is that I can't make the kanji fully visible whithout making the "normal" text look bad.
But I think it's possible to turn off anti-aliasing for only the kanji by editing a file somewhere. If my memory serves me... I'll have to look around a bit more.
dpalacio
Registered Member
OS
For some reason, some distributions do not disable bitmap fonts. Your's is using them to draw kanji. In your .fonts.conf configuration file, add this option

<edit mode="assign" name="embeddedbitmap" >
<bool>false</bool>
</edit>

See viewtopic.php?f=17&t=62316

connect(post, SIGNAL(readSignature()), qapp, SLOT(quit()));
aabbqrstp
Registered Member
OS
dpalacio wrote:For some reason, some distributions do not disable bitmap fonts. Your's is using them to draw kanji. In your .fonts.conf configuration file, add this option

<edit mode="assign" name="embeddedbitmap" >
<bool>false</bool>
</edit>

See <a class="linkification-ext" href="viewtopic.php?f=17&t=62316" title="Linkification: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=62316">http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=62316</a>

Thank you! Problem solved.