This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kde font configuration does not work

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
trobens
Registered Member

kde font configuration does not work

Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:42 am
hi -

i cannot modify my antialiases in the control center - when i use "apply" after changes nothing happens, and after a while (when i get impatient) i close the window and get

" Window with title "Configure - KDE Control Module" is not responding. This window belongs to application kcmshell (PID=8804, hostname=localhost)."

??

i would also change the antialias setting manually if i knew where (i basically want to switch antialias on and have no exceptions). unfortunately i am not root on this computer, otherwise i would just reinstall kde i guess..

help is appreciated.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Which version of KDE is in use? kcmshell --version

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
trobens
Registered Member
hi -

i get

kcmshell --version
Qt: 3.3.8b
KDE: 3.5.10
KDE Control Module:

however, i have now hacked the file .fonts.conf in such a way that things look the way i want them by simply deleting

<match target="font" >
<test compare="more_eq" name="size" qual="any" >
<double>8</double>
</test>
<test compare="less_eq" name="size" qual="any" >
<double>15</double>
</test>
<edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
<bool>false</bool>
</edit>

so in principle things are fine, but the graphics user interface module for the configuration seems to have a problem to store settings in the respective file (for fonts only; i can edit background, screensaver, etc wo any problem)

it would still be good to understand why things go wrong here
trobens
Registered Member
however, i think the same thing stops the kpersonalizer to install antialias fonts for firefox, so i think after all there is still something buggy :-(. however, i think it is user-profile rather than installtion dependent; if other people log in to the same machine, they can do what they want. so i guess it has sth to do with where the kde components try to store the info they get from font configuration applications... does this help ??

cheers
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Make sure you have write access to your $HOME, and own all files in it. This can be changed if you run root applications using sudo or su incorrectly.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]