This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Lost toolbar in System Setings

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
efi360
Registered Member
OS

Lost toolbar in System Setings

Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:37 pm
Lost the Overview, Configure, Help and search toolbar in System Setings and have no idea of how to get it to show again. would apreeciate any help on this as its hard to navigate back and forth with out it. :(
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Re: Lost toolbar in System Setings

Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:47 pm
That's strange, no matter what I do I can't seem to get rid of the toolbar bar in that program. Have you tried ctrl+m ?

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
efi360
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:45 pm
Thanks for the quick reply Black Cat,

Unfortionetly ctrl+m did not work, also tried uninstalling systemsettings through apt and re-installing as this is a debian system, but that did not work either . I tried to upload a snapshot of sytem settings as it looks but couldent figure out how to do it. sorry ! (running KDE 4.3.2 by the way) any other sugestions ?
efi360
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:50 pm
By the way it was there originaly and I clicked on somthing accidently wich made it dissapear but since it was accidental dont realy know what I did happend fast then it was gone. is there a config file i can dealete maybe to restore windows settings ? .....Just thinking out loud !
efi360
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:03 pm
Oh! ..one other thing if I run command kdesu-systemsettings then give root password system settings does open with toolbar so only does not show in user mode but apperantly root mode is ok if this helps.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:10 pm
You could try to rename/move/delete ~/.kde4/share/config/systemsettingsrc (for some distros it's kde instead of kde4).

It would be nice if you can find out how to reproduce this - it sounds like a serious bug.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:46 pm
I'd really like to know how you managed to do this, since it is ( as TheBlackCat found ) supposed to be impossible to do so.

Remove the file systemsettingsui.rc from ~/.kde4/share/apps/systemsettings with System Settings closed to correct the issue.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
efi360
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:42 pm
OK guys got it fixed, The removing of the file systemsettingsrc to another folder did the trick as soon as I opened System Settings it was back to normal. Thank god and Thank You as it was a pain to work with had to close out window every time just to go back to first page as there was no over view arrow to go back with

Wish I could remember exactly what I did to cause it. I think I unchecked somthing is all but dont remember exactly. I notice in the new Kaffeine 1.0-pre2 if i put the curser in the toolbar just to the right of the help at the end of file, playback, playlist, television, settings and right click the mouse I get a small square with two checkmarks in it but no text next to them explaining what they are or do, Thinking I had simmilar check in systemsettings toolbar and I unchecked it but honestly dont remember exactly, anyway thanks for the reply and quick help,
I wont be unchecking things at random any more. :<

bcookly If you would like to pm me and give a email I can send the snapshot I took just to show it is posible to remove toolbar on system settings. I could not figure out how to upload the picture to to forum thread if its even posible.
Hans
Administrator
OS
efi360 wrote:OK guys got it fixed, The removing of the file systemsettingsrc to another folder did the trick as soon as I opened System Settings it was back to normal.

Good to hear. Could you please click on Image below the post with the answer to mark the topic as solved.

Thinking I had simmilar check in systemsettings toolbar and I unchecked it but honestly dont remember exactly, anyway thanks for the reply and quick help,

Most applications let you choose which toolbars to show and hide. But as you've experienced, it doesn't make much sense in System Settings, and there is no obvious way to get it back. Therefore this feature should be disabled in this application - if you try to right click again, you shouldn't have an option to hide the toolbar.

I wont be unchecking things at random any more. :<

See it from the bright side, you probably discovered a bug. I would encourage you to continue to uncheck things (maybe not randomly, however...), but next time, remember what you uncheck. ;)

bcookly If you would like to pm me and give a email I can send the snapshot I took just to show it is posible to remove toolbar on system settings. I could not figure out how to upload the picture to to forum thread if its even posible.

You have to upload the picture somewhere (e.g. ImageShack) before you can post it here. You can copy-paste the BBCode ("Hotlink for forums").

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:06 am
@efi360: Please post the link to the screenshot here

KDE Sysadmin
petrogazz
Registered Member
OS

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:50 pm
I had the exact same issue and solved it by deleting systemsettingsrc.

I can't tell how and when it disappeared though.

I am using KDE 4.3.5, here is a screenshoot

Last edited by petrogazz on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:01 am
For the next person who encounters this, can you please post what you did to cause this and a copy of your systemsettingsrc?

Thanks.

KDE Sysadmin
rkida
Registered Member

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:19 am
# diff systemsettingsrc.broken systemsettingsrc.new
2,3c2
< Height 1080=671
< Height 768=769
---
> Height 1080=690
5c4
< State=AAAA/wAAAAD9AAAAAAAAA4YAAAHPAAAABAAAAAQAAAAIAAAACPwAAAABAAAAAgAAAAEAAAAWAG0AYQBpAG4AVABvAG8AbABCAGEAcgAAAAAA/////wAAAAAAAAAA
---
> State=AAAA/wAAAAD9AAAAAAAABCAAAAKOAAAABAAAAAQAAAAIAAAACPwAAAABAAAAAgAAAAEAAAAWAG0AYQBpAG4AVABvAG8AbABCAGEAcgEAAAAA/////wAAAAAAAAAA
7,8c6
< Width 1366=675
< Width 1920=924
---
> Width 1920=1056
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:15 am
Thanks for posting that. Unfortunately the two files are pretty much identical - there is nothing wrong with them that should affect the toolbar at the very least. I'm assuming deleting the file also fixed the issue for you?

KDE Sysadmin
luebking

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:38 pm
*possible* causes:

1. unlock toolbar position (rightclick menu)
2. move toolbar to floating
-> this alone will usually hide the toolbar when the window turns inactive (it's now a managed utility window)
3. restart systemsetting
-> the toolbar is now NOT managed, KWin does not ensure it ends up on a visible screen position, ie. if you altered your resolution (unplugged a screen) the toolbar might simply end up out of sight.

I'll claim that the diff on the "State" key supports this scenario, but cannot "read" it from the value either (binary data)