This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Explosions & Window Bar

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
extasic
Registered Member
OS

Explosions & Window Bar

Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:14 am
Hi!

I'm quite new to KDE. I tried it several years ago, but it all looked quite different then.

I really like the new look and feel, but there are two things I want to change but don't find the right settings:

1)

I played around with the effects and turned on the one that causes closing windows to explode. It worked well but after some time was pretty annoying. Unfortunately disabling it using "systemsettings" didn't work for me. Even though the check mark is removed (I clicked apply as well) all windows still explode while closing.

Do you have any idea how to disable it?

2)

When using the old KDE version (might be 3) I could set the part that is called "Taskbar" in Windows (so where all opened program are listed on the bottom part of the screen) that only the windows of the current active screen (that one where I have four of it) are shown. This time when a window is on screen 3 and I am on screen 1 it is shown as well and the screen is swapped to number 3 if I click on the item. Because of many open windows this is irritating.
Do you know if this setting still exist?

Thank you in advance!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Explosions & Window Bar

Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:29 pm
With regards to 1) Outside of a KDE session, try removing ~/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Alec
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:47 pm
extasic wrote:2)

When using the old KDE version (might be 3) I could set the part that is called "Taskbar" in Windows (so where all opened program are listed on the bottom part of the screen) that only the windows of the current active screen (that one where I have four of it) are shown. This time when a window is on screen 3 and I am on screen 1 it is shown as well and the screen is swapped to number 3 if I click on the item. Because of many open windows this is irritating.
Do you know if this setting still exist?

Thank you in advance!

Click on the "cashew" on the right side of the panel (if it's no there, right-lick the panel and select "Unlock Widgets." Then, right-click on the task bar and select "Task Manager Settings." Check "Only show tasks from the current desktop". You need to have KDE version 4.2 or above (If you don't, you should really upgrade because versions before 4.3 were awful)

Get problems solved faster - get reply notifications through Jabber!
extasic
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:28 pm
Thank you for your answers!

@Alec

That worked for me, thank you!

@bcooksley

That didn't work. Any other ideas?
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:37 pm
Just to make sure, do you use KWin as your window manager? You can try to run 'kwin --replace' in a terminal.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
extasic
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:39 pm
Hans wrote:Just to make sure, do you use KWin as your window manager? You can try to run 'kwin --replace' in a terminal.

I'm pretty sure I use KWin (the process is running). kwin --replace as local user makes the screen flash and the title bars dissappear for a second - after that everything is as before - including the explosions.

I examined the kwinrc file - and the explosion effect is set to false... How might that be?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:18 am
In this situation it should not be possible for this to happen.

Logout of the system and switch to a virtual terminal, then login there.

run "killall -9 kwin klauncher kdeinit4 kded4 ksmserver" ignoring any error messages.

DO NOT RUN that command inside a KDE session. It will immediately be shutdown and terminated.

KDE Sysadmin
extasic
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:13 am
bcooksley wrote:In this situation it should not be possible for this to happen.

Logout of the system and switch to a virtual terminal, then login there.

run "killall -9 kwin klauncher kdeinit4 kded4 ksmserver" ignoring any error messages.

DO NOT RUN that command inside a KDE session. It will immediately be shutdown and terminated.

I did this - but it hasn't changed anything. This effect still lasts even if I restarted several times. I can not remove the effect at all.

Any other ideas?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:35 am
Are the explosions activated under a new user?

KDE Sysadmin
davidI
Registered Member
OS

Re: Explosions & Window Bar  Topic is solved

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:06 am
I suffered from the same 'exploding' windows irritation, and with the clue given by the first suggestion edited the kwinrc file to set the following

TO : kwin4_effect_fallapartEnabled=false

So it isn't the explode that was doing it.

You have to logout and login for the change to have an effect.
vpic
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:11 pm
So what is the actual KDE gui that updates kwinrc?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:55 pm
There are several of them, all accessible through System Settings > Desktop.

KDE Sysadmin
vpic
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:40 am
Thanks, found them.