This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

gtk apps in kde considered harmful (to the eye)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ionux
Registered Member
OS
qt apps that just use qt and not kdelibs look perfect by default in gnome, and kde apps also can be set to look really good in gnome in the system settings appearance dialog, but there is no real integration with gtk apps in kde. i mean both suse and kubuntu use the same qtcurve theme that makes gtk look kind of like qt but not really. i find it really ugly! first of all it's missing the cool gradient oxygen has that matches the gradient in the titlebar (mostly visible if you disable those stripes) and also all the widgets are obivously different, and ugly! (i don't mean desktop widgets, i mean the buttons and comboboxes and etc in the windows)

can anyone please inform me as to why do i have to put up with all this inconsistency? why can't i use my favorite gnome apps in kde and have a decent experience? (i'm not blaming kde, i'm blaming gtk but correct me if i'm wrong) I have more than one computer and on one of my computers i have a gnome desktop installed... i can use ktorrent and vlc and other kde/qt apps in gnome and they look just like gnome (maybe except the icons... if you tell kde to use the icon theme in gnome it will not have replacements for all the kde apps and thus look not too good, but i don't mind that as much, as using oxygen icons is a minor inconsistency, and both the icon sets are awesome)

i also don't get why people that are not within the gnome project are so fond of gtk, i mean firefox and chrome and others...

I hope I wasn't too aggressive in expressing my opinions and that I did not offend anybody. I understand that a lot of free software developers are using their spare time to make a gift to the world, and are not making money out of what they are doing and I appreciate that very much but this is really annoying. What I don't like is that there are many awesome applications in the world of gnu/linux and free software in general, but this fragmentation without a thought for interoperability makes the whole platform not be as good as it could...
atem18
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The problem is in Gtk, which performs all the drawing itself rather than delegating it to a backend ( a Style in Qt ) which is what allows KDE and Qt applications to look native everywhere.

Gtk is simply emulating the look of everything.
Qt is drawing everything using the native libraries ( ie. no emulation, KDE apps fit in in GNOME because they use Gtk to perform the drawing )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Those monopolising misanthropes! Isn't there anything one can do? I mean, suse have managed to patch their firefox and openoffice nice enough...

Debian testing
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
SUSE's patches consist of themes and hooks within the application to call an external handler ( in the case of Firefox ) or directly ( for OpenOffice )

Other than completely wrapping the Gtk library using Qt ( including GLib so that the Qt Event Loop is used ) there is no clean way of doing it.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]