This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Updating system configuration ever and ever

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
LukasT.dev
KDE Developer
OS
Hello,

I would like to ask you about changing file association in KDE.
When I right-click file in Krusader -> Open With -> Other -> type app name (e.g.vlc) and click ok, the Updating system configuration goes from 0 to 90% again and again. And it never finishes. I'm using KDE4.4 RC3 on Fedora 12.

Have you got idea how can I fix it? Or is that bug to be filled in bugzilla?

Daylight is coming...
Krita developer | http://lukast.mediablog.sk/log
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I do not know why this occurs.. however I think it fails to launch kbuildsycoca4 properly... likely a bug from the KDE 3 to 4 port.

Please file a bug, or ask dfaure in #kde-devel on Freenode.

It is safe to click cancel after manually running "kbuildsycoca4"

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
atrox
Registered Member
OS
I've seen it happening for years (yes, in KDE3 too). It also happens sometimes when updating files' associations. Right now I tried reorder programs for file type 'rtf' and I just cannot, because updating stays looping as you described.

Even if it works, could anyone explain why updating this takes so much time? I imagine there are just a few files to update and that's it. I guess I'm wrong :)
atrox
Registered Member
OS
Aha, when I ran kbuildsycoca4 from command line, I see that 'rtf' programs' order was updated. And I guess that updating files associations goes through all the filetypes rather than updating only the changed ones? What a waste..
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
In this case of it never ending, there was possibly some problem with calling kbuildsycoca4, or something similar. In this case, running it manually yourself, then clicking cancel is sufficient.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
atrox
Registered Member
OS
atrox
Registered Member
OS
Wish for optimizing the update process: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=232186