This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE does not follow links directly

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mounty
Registered Member
OS

KDE does not follow links directly

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:28 pm
Hello, I've just updated to KDE 4.4.1 and in general it's the best yet. In particular, for me, having Knetworkmanager means that I don't need to run another computer to connect to the internet but can use a mobile broadband stick directly. Accelerated graphics work as well, so I can have all the 'eye-candy' I want. I'm now in the process of ironing-out minor problems as the installation is pretty close to perfect, as far as I can tell.

The first problem is that KDE does not follow links directly but downloads the linked-to page and displays it instead. Example: open up system preferences, advanced, digital camera and click the Help button at bottom left. In the Add section there is a link to the GPhoto2 web site, http://www.gphoto.org so click on it. What I would expect to happen is that konqueror opens up with http://www.gphoto.org in the address bar, but what actually happens is that KDE downloads the page and opens konqueror with the address bar showing /var/tmp/kdecache-mounty/krun/1384.0. ! This is useless as it does not download any relative-addressed images, CSS etc. so the page is hopelessly wrong. Similar behaviour occurs with URLs in emails.

This behaviour is hopelessly broken. It might be there for some security reason but it's useless because the pages are almost never displayed correctly. How can KDE be told just to do the simple thing and open the URL directly ?
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
I suspect that might be a bug in konqueror rather than KDE as a whole. Why? Because it works as intended if you change the default browser to say firefox or google chrome (at least it does for me).

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
mounty
Registered Member
OS
Kryten2X4B wrote:I suspect that might be a bug in konqueror rather than KDE as a whole. Why? Because it works as intended if you change the default browser to say firefox or google chrome (at least it does for me).
Me too, and bearing in mind that Konqueror is still, regretably, very much a weak link in the KDE suite, I'll probably just leave the default browser as Firefox. Thanks for the reply.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This is more likely to be an issue with the incorrect replacement character being used. Try %u instead of %f to run it ( changable in System Settings > Advanced > File Assocations. Find text/html )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
mounty
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:This is more likely to be an issue with the incorrect replacement character being used. Try %u instead of %f to run it ( changable in System Settings > Advanced > File Assocations. Find text/html )
A-ha ! That was it. The command was "kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing" and changing that to "konqueror %u" makes konqueror open the link directly, as required. Thanks to you and Kryten2X4B.
JaKi
Registered Member
OS
Maybe it's a distribution specific misconfiguration or because of some old user settings? Here it does work fine (Kubuntu), the mentioned gphoto website opens as expected and the command for opening text/html is "kfmclient openURL %u text/html".