This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Panel: make widgets shorter?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
triffid_hunter
Registered Member
OS

Panel: make widgets shorter?

Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:11 am
Hi,

Just upgraded from kde3.5 where I had a setup that was very functional with a minimum of eyecandy.

Slowly working my way through the kde4.3.5 setup, but I've come up against something I can find no solution for:

I put my panel on the left edge of my screen. This worked beautifully with kde3, but the widgets in my kde4 panel remain quite tall- to the point where the clock takes enough space for 4 lines of text, but only displays one, and I only have room for about 4 applications in the taskbar. My cpu frequency applet stretches the text so badly that it's unreadable. I can find no option that affects the height of widgets.

how do I make the widgets shorter?

Also, is there a way to strip the borders off the system tray and the application buttons in the taskbar? the borders take up too much space.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Panel: make widgets shorter?

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:14 am
You may wish to try updating to KDE 4.4, where some of these issues are fixed...

The borders on both the System Tray and Task Manager are controlled by the Plasma theme you are using, you might be able to find a borderless theme on kde-look though.

For those widgets with distorted text, please file a bug report at bugs.kde.org if you can reproduce.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
triffid_hunter
Registered Member
OS

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:03 am
Hi, updated to kde 4.4.2, main problem still remains.

The digital clock and cpufreq applet are both 3x taller than they need to be. the clock's writing is vertically centered, and the cpufreq widget's writing is stretched. I've sent a patch to the cpufreq applet author that stops it stretching, but the area set aside for the applet is still far too big, like the clock
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:06 am
Correcting the space allocated to the applet will require further code changes, which if the developer accepts your patch they will likely fix.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]