This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Help needed on lockdown

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Sabst
Registered Member
OS

Help needed on lockdown

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:09 pm
Hi,
After many months spent on the customization/configuration of a KDE4 environment for a kiosk-like product, this the first time I am stuck and I have to post this question... no need to say I am very impressed by KDE4 (and also by the fact I could find all the answers online until now).

As a final preliminary comment, I want to mention I am not interested in a configuration user interface (for example kiosk tool) but in the core lock-down capabilities.
Some of the lock-down features mentioned on the following pages work but that's unfortunately not enough:
http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/Kiosk/Keys (what about mentioning what KDE version applies?)
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/4.4-Kiosk

How do I prevent users from running commands apart from those available in the plasma panels?
- immutable=2 is good as new entries cannot be added but existing ones can be changed: for example, I can change the entry that starts Firefox and make it start Konsole instead... pretty annoying
- I could disable Alt+F2 keyboard shortcut but the right mouse button on the desktop still proposes "Run Command...". I wish "[KDE Action Restrictions]/run_command=false" worked...

How do I lock those features down with my current release (4:4:3.2-0ubuntu4.1)?

Cheers,
Stephane.
Sabst
Registered Member
OS

Re: Help needed on lockdown

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:30 pm
Could anyone with the answer be kind enough to let me know?
(even if you think the answer is obvious)
Thanks.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Help needed on lockdown  Topic is solved

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:49 am
Which version of KDE 4 are you using? To be able to lockdown Plasma, you will need to be running 4.4 or Trunk.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Sabst
Registered Member
OS

Re: Help needed on lockdown

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:50 am
I thought I was using 4.4 but I was confused by "4:4.3.2-0ubuntu4.1"
Here is what I get:

$ plasma-desktop --version
Qt: 4.5.2
KDE: 4.3.2 (KDE 4.3.2)
Plasma Workspace: 0.3

I will check again with 4.4 (Kubuntu/Lucid instead of Karmic).

Thanks,
Stephane.