This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't get Firefox to *not* use KDE colors

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ozim
Registered Member
Hi! I have the same problem. userContent.css solves problem partially - I still get many elements look different from origin, as I'm web developer - that is very important for me to see all elements "as they are"
The question i still: is there a way to make firefox use ONLY it's default settings, and not to use KDE colours?
Thanx!
luebking
Html clients (browsers) always bring a stock css - often if not usually configurable by users.
As a webwhatever you CAN NOT RELY ON THAT CSS AT ALL!

You got to style what you want to style and unless the client css has some !important's you'll get what you asked for.
If the client has a global css containing !important entries, that's the clients or users problem.

~/.mozilla/firefox/xxx.default/chrome/userContent.css is FFs stock global css (probably on top of some /usr/share/apps/mozilla/firefox/whatnot)
ozim
Registered Member
Look, all I want - to get FF look as it has to (as chromium does), no matter what styles I use in system.
luebking
I don't use FF (which is actually neither a KDE application but from a WM perspective one of the most nasty clients ever), but you can control the local look as mentioned.
If you however design webpages, than just do it right. FF, Chrome, Opera, Qupzilla, Konqueror, younameit do not *have* to look like anything.
ozim
Registered Member
I am not sure, you understand what I mean..
here is how I see firebug, e.g.
there are a lot of such things that make my use of FF with dark KDE theme impossible.
Please, if you do not want or do not know how to solve this problem - do not advise me use it like it is now - this solution I know already.
Thanx!
luebking
That's ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxx.default/chrome/userChrome.css to override stuff in the theme jar (don't forget !important)

And it really didn't seem to me as if you were talking about the GUI but about the content only. ("webdeveloper", "usercontent.css" -> content)
ozim
Registered Member
Thanx! Where I can copy default example? cause, I don't know what styles should be there..
luebking
I don't think there's one.
The default will pick the colors from the gtk+ style and the themes ship their own css files to override that.
You'll have to figure which elements are broken with your gtk+ style & firefox style & color scheme and override them.

You'll have to utilize the dom inspector for this:
http://support.mozilla.org/de/questions/904670

Alternatively use a "black on white" colorscheme or at least a gtk+ style that enforces it (or alter your gtk+ style to enforce it)

Dark colorscheme support is generally bad, worse on gtk+ (because of separated background and foreground control and many handcrafted widgets, not simply deriving the stock ones) and esp. on firefox (which uses XUL on top of gtk+)
ozim
Registered Member
Alternatively use a "black on white" colorscheme or at least a gtk+ style that enforces it (or alter your gtk+ style to enforce it)

Pardon, what that means? English is not my motherlang, so.. You mean, I can set separate style for some kind of apps in KDE? E.g. For non KDE appls? How?
Sorry, I am just a user =)
ozim
Registered Member
I created css file userChrome.css with content
Code: Select all
#searchbar, #urlbar , #find-field-container, #toolbar-menubar,#throbber, #bookmarks-menu
{
background-color: white;
color: #000;
-moz-appearance: none;
}
    body {
    background-color: white;
    color: black;
    display: block;
    margin: 8px;
    -moz-appearance: none;
    } 

but it changed nothing..
luebking
ozim wrote:You mean, I can set separate style for some kind of apps in KDE? E.g. For non KDE appls? How?

For firefox one could download themes (like foxdie) - no idea whether that's still supported.
For gtk+ (firefox should still use gtk+ 2) there's likely a kcm to configure it (in systemsettings) or you could use sth. like "gtk-chtheme".
It's configured in random ~/.gtkrc* files.

ozim wrote:I created css file userChrome.css with content ... but it changed nothing..

How many !important statements are in that config? ;-P
ozim
Registered Member
too many..
Code: Select all
#searchbar, #urlbar , #find-field-container, #toolbar-menubar,#throbber, #bookmarks-menu
{
background-color: white !important;
color: #000 !important;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}
    body {
    background-color: white !important;
    color: black !important;
    display: block !important;
    margin: 8px !important;
    -moz-appearance: none !important;
    } 

For firefox one could download themes (like foxdie) - no idea whether that's still supported.

themes do not help
For gtk+ (firefox should still use gtk+ 2) there's likely a kcm to configure it (in systemsettings) or you could use sth. like "gtk-chtheme".
It's configured in random ~/.gtkrc* files.

sorry, I did not understand you..
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
In many cases, KDE will configure Gtk applications (which include Firefox) to use it's colours by setting modified ~/.gtkrc* files.
To test if this is the cause of the problem, try removing those files.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ozim
Registered Member
I removed them, and got firefox looking rough but "black on white" - it's ok for me, but at the same time - all the other apps look not good as well
is there a way to make only firefox not to use system styles, or, better, only colours ?
Thanks!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
To my knowledge, what you are seeking is not possible I am afraid.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]