This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't get Firefox to *not* use KDE colors

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ozim
Registered Member
I see. Thank you, anyway, at least I know where the reason of colours in FF )
luebking
Deleting that files gets you the native painting of Gtk+
Find a nice black on white gtk+ theme on gnome-look.org, donwload and install it to /usr/share/themes and configure it for usage (use a tool like gtk-chtheme or the kcm that some distros will already ship)

Simply don't try to use white on black for gtk+, i have tried several times, it's just a PITA -> virtually unsupported :-(
vayu
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:Deleting that files gets you the native painting of Gtk+
Find a nice black on white gtk+ theme on gnome-look.org, donwload and install it to /usr/share/themes and configure it for usage (use a tool like gtk-chtheme or the kcm that some distros will already ship)

Simply don't try to use white on black for gtk+, i have tried several times, it's just a PITA -> virtually unsupported :-(

I have Firefox and all GTK apps looking just like Oxygen apps. KDE has amazing integration and consistancy between Qt/GTK apps. KDE's gtk integration is such that the best looking setup is to embrace it not avoid it.

I use the oxygen-gtk theme and mark the setting to use kde settings for gtk apps. For Firefox I use a theme called GTK Native.

That makes the browsers non content area theme follow exactly what the rest of my KDE apps look like (sometimes I have to go in and mark the themes version when Firefox has been upgraded and the theme hasn't been upgraded yet).

At this point the browser content area with a dark theme has the problem of the browser content and form fields having things like black text on black backgrounds. The code for userContent.css below completely clears up that problem for me. (luebking, if you check you'll find that the userContent code that didn't work for you was different, perhaps what's here will work as well for you as it does for me. )

Code: Select all
input {
border: 2px inset white;
background-color: white;
color: black;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}
textarea {
}
select {
}
input[type="radio"],
input[type="checkbox"] {
border: 2px inset white ! important;
background-color: white ! important;
color: ThreeDFace ! important;
}
*|*::-moz-radio {
}
button,
input[type="reset"],
input[type="button"],
input[type="submit"] {
border: 2px outset white;
background-color: #eeeeee;
}
body {
display: block;
margin: 8px;
}
ozim
Registered Member
vayu content part works fine, I am talking about styling of non content part of firefox - here no changes, even after I made userChrome.css
Code: Select all
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
#searchbar, #urlbar , #find-field-container, #toolbar-menubar,#throbber, #bookmarks-menu
{
background-color: white !important;
color: #000 !important;
}
    body {
    background-color: white !important;
    color: black !important;
    display: block !important;
    margin: 8px !important;
    } 
vayu
Registered Member
OS
ozim wrote:vayu content part works fine, I am talking about styling of non content part of firefox - here no changes, even after I made userChrome.css

I have had much frustration over getting a Firefox theme to look good with KDE. I've found two themes that make Firefox look like Oxygen. They take a little upkeep because it takes a while for each of them to get updated when a Firefox new version makes them incompatible. There's a theme called Oxygen KDE and a theme called GTK Native. I used to use the Oxygen KDE plugin. It has a lot of settings and does a good job of giving it an acceptable appearance on KDE. I had a few issues with it but for a while it was the best theme I could find that looked ok on a dark themed KDE. Then I found GTK Native. It made it perfect. Firefox looks just like Oxygen for me. I love it. I am finally happy with my browser on KDE.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/gtk-native/
When it gets outdated by a new version of Firefox I've had to go dig around in the theme and set the max version to something higher. You have to have your KDE system settings set to use oxygen-gtk theme and set the setting: gtk apps use KDE settings.
ozim
Registered Member
that does not work for me, I steel have black FF
luebking
I suggest you ask for this on a firefox forum - the list of styled elements doesn't really look complete to me for your purposes, but i don't know either and guess such details are far better known in a firefox specific environment.

@vayu
I wasn't referring to firefox but to gkt+ in general when complaining about white on black support there.
The issue is that often derived UI elements in gtk+ simply use hardcoded text colors - the stock elements usually don't have this problem, but then someone thinks he requires an extra button and boingg - unreadable text. And that can on "ordinary" gtk+ applications also not be "fixed" via XUL and css