This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

I lost KDE but how to get it back?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
DC80
Registered Member
OS
Hi all,

I do not know if this is the right forum to start this topic, so i'm sorry for the trouble i may cause.

My daughter was playing in the computer room this afternoon and turned off my computer while i was working. After i booted up again my KDE desktop was gone. I got an error about fast user switching applet and a chioce to delete it or keep it. After booting serveral times i choose to delete it and so i did. It was corrupt anyway.

I have tried to reinstall KDE but this did not work. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Edit: I'd had to select KDE in the login screen and it works fine. However i still do not understand what happened.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Possibly a generic X file under $HOME was corrupted. In any case, the direct KDE choice seems to work fine...

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
envalin
Registered Member
OS
It's possible she hit a shortcut that put the mode into a non-graphical setting. It's like how you can run Gnome and KDE on login (if both are installed), except there's text-only modes as well.

If it keeps happening, backup your data, and reinstall! The beauty of linux is that you can reinstall in 15 minutes if something goes wrong. If you keep your /home on a different partition, it's even easier.