This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

installing new window decorations

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
monmynet
Registered Member
OS

installing new window decorations

Fri May 07, 2010 5:12 pm
I've searched kde-look, google, and these forums, and just can't seem to find the real answer to this, so I'm making a new post here for it.

I'm trying to install a native kwin window decoration from kde-look -- this is NOT emerald or compiz or beryl or dekorator or any of those; it is kwin native decoration (or at least they all claim to be). I am building from source with
cmake
make
make install
kbuildsycoca4 (not sure if that's necessary but I run it anyway)

They all install ok, but when I go to System Settings > Appearance > Windows the new decorations I have installed are simply not available.

I have tried going to System Settings > Advanced > Desktop Theme Settings and cannot find an entry for "window decoration", and I've tried clicking the "install new theme" button but this seems to see only themes, not window decorations.

Any idea of what I might be doing wrong? I would prefer to stay kwin-native and not use aurarae or nitrogen or emerald or whatever else is out there.

Thanks.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Try the following instead:
Code: Select all
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix` ..
make
make install # usually as root

It sounds like it's installed in the wrong path. Do you know where Slackware installs KDE?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
monmynet
Registered Member
OS

Re: installing new window decorations

Sat May 08, 2010 11:51 am
parfait! worked like a charm, thanks. I guess I need to brush up on cmake commands! Thanks a lot.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Yay :)
I'm not very familiar with cmake myself, but this seems like 'the standard way' to compile KDE4 applications. I have it saved on my blog since I never remember -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix`.

Topic marked as solved (you can do it yourself by clicking on Image).

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Re: installing new window decorations

Sat May 08, 2010 10:20 pm
Hans wrote:Yay :)
I'm not very familiar with cmake myself, but this seems like 'the standard way' to compile KDE4 applications. I have it saved on my blog since I never remember -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix`.

That's what aliases are for ;)

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
vbatts
Registered Member
OS
Thanks Hans. Slackware keeps it simple and installs with /usr as the `kde4-config --prefix`

vb

vbatts, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Sep.

http://hashbangbash.com/