This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Menu Editor, folder icon question.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gencon
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

In KDE Menu Editor, I manually added a new 'Submenu' within my Wine menu to hold a couple of Windows programs with no installers which I wanted to add, then I added a new item for each in the new submenu and configured the commands - all ok they work fine.

However instead of the submenu displaying the default blue folder icon (that is the icon associated with the actual folder) there was that standard '?' icon showing it needed to be manually set. When I click on the icon in the side panel in order to select a new icon it displays the system icons, but the default blue folder icon isn't there. All the other submenus show the same blue folder so I want my new submenu to show it too. I've searched but can't find the blue folder icon. Where would it be?

Hopefully this is not a system dependant question, but just in case I'd better mention I'm using Kubuntu Karmic.

Many thanks.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
It should be shown if you select "Places" in the drop-down menu right next to the "System icons" radio-button.

Otherwise, it should be at /usr/share/icons/oxygen/128x128/places/folder.png (replace 128x128 with a more suitable size if needed)

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The icon name is "inode-directory" which can be found in the "Mimetypes" section of the icon selector.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
gencon
Registered Member
OS
Kryten2X4B wrote:It should be shown if you select "Places" in the drop-down menu right next to the "System icons" radio-button.

Otherwise, it should be at /usr/share/icons/oxygen/128x128/places/folder.png (replace 128x128 with a more suitable size if needed)

Thanks Kryten. An odd thing occurred...

The drop-down list box to the right of system icons was empty (yes system icons was definitely selected). So I manually navigated to the /usr/share/... icon you specified. Worked fine, saved, exited the menu editor.

Then I noticed bcooksley's reply and opened the menu editor to see if the icon he specified was in the same location and if it was the same. But on opening the icon selector much to my astonishment the drop-down list box was now fully populated with 'Applications', 'Places', etc. (about 10 categories in all).

Have I found a bug?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: I was not right about why the drop-down list box got populated with items. It is now empty again, and repeating what I did above: manually selecting an icon from /usr/share/icons/..., saving, quiting menu editor, and restarting it did not result in the list box becoming populated. Anyone know how I can fix the list box so it is permenantly populated with the various categories and not empty? Thanks again.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please try removing the contents of /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER outside KDE.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]