This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Theme for GTK apps running as non-logged in user

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ralphb
Registered Member
OS
Hello,

I'm running Firefox as a separate user, i.e., I'm logged in as user A and Firefox runs as user B. Both users A and B have proper home directories, and both are configured to use QtCurve as GTK+ Styles in System Settings -> GTK+ Appearance.

Alas, all GTK applications running as user B are entirely unthemed. (This changes temporarily if I start Gnome Control Center as user B, as this starts service gnome-settings-daemon for user B.)

Do I need to change any permissions (filesystem, groups, ...?) so that applications of B are themed when running on A's desktop?

Regards
Ralph
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The issue is likely because the resource file used to apply the settings ( probably called in *gtk*kde*.sh or similar in $HOME ) is not being loaded for user B.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ralphb
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:The issue is likely because the resource file used to apply the settings ( probably called in *gtk*kde*.sh or similar in $HOME ) is not being loaded for user B.

Thanks for your patience. :-) But why is that file not loaded for user B? Or put differently: What causes GTK applications to look for that file?

Note that both users have one identical GTK config file in their $HOME directory:

Code: Select all
lynx ~ > cat .gtkrc-2.0-kde4
include "/usr/share/themes/QtCurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

Ralph
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The issue is that a script in the KDE startup process ( placed there by the KDE control module for Gtk themes ) which ensures that gtkrc file is loaded by setting environment variables before any application gets to start.

When you run the application under user B, they get a totally clean envionment ( much like the one you would get if you logged in at a virtual terminal ) which means that the gtkrc file will not be used, and is why they don't follow the modules settings. Calling the script ( probably in ~/.kde/env ) in ~/.bashrc or ~/.profile should be sufficient to ensure it is loaded.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ralphb
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:probably in ~/.kde/env

Thanks a million, that was the missing link! Works like a charm now. :D

Ralph