This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problems using KDE

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tlinux
Registered Member
OS

Problems using KDE

Sun May 16, 2010 2:15 am
I'm trying to learn how to use KDE and it's complicated. At this point I've run into a couple of problems that I don't know how to solve nor where to look for an answer. My questions are:

1.Every time I boot up I get a screen about Desktop Sharing. I'm not interested in this and I'd like to stop this from opening. How do I do that?

2. During every session I get a pop-up telling me that there's an upgrade to Kubuntu 9.10 and asking if I want to upgrade. I've already tried the upgrade with less than successful results. The upgrade screwed up all my settings and I never was able to get Kubuntu 10.04 to work satisfactorily. I've gone back to 9,10 and I'm going to stay here. How do I stop this pop-up from bugging me? I fear that I will mistakenly accept the upgrade and it'll screw up my present setup.

I'm using KDE 4.3.2.

Thank you.
Snowhog
Registered Member
OS

Re: Problems using KDE

Sun May 16, 2010 3:05 am
Desktop Sharing

At some point in your exploring the K Menu, you started this application, did nothing but close it, and that placed it, still running, in the System Tray. It looks like a dark (when not connected to a Desktop Invite) monitor with two 'people' in the lower-right cornor. Right-click on it and click on Quit. This stops the stops the application and removes it from the System Tray. The next time you reboot and login to the Desktop, you won't see the pop-up.

Administrator
Kubuntu Forums . Net - https://kubuntuforums.net
Vistaus
Registered Member
OS

Sun May 16, 2010 2:17 pm
And about 2: why don't you reinstall 10.04? It's really worth it and with a clean install, it runs great! :)
I run it too, it's so much better than 9.10! :)
tlinux
Registered Member
OS

Sun May 16, 2010 3:56 pm
Snowhog--I couldn't get rid of the Desktop Sharing screen. There was no "dark monitor with two people in it." I don't know what a Desktop Invite is. There were three icons that looked like desktops that were the closest things to what you described. I "Quit" all three of them and then rebooted. I still have the Desktop Sharing screen but the three icons are gone. Don't know how to get them back.

Vistaus--The problems I had when I upgraded to 10.04 were because the upgrade wiped out all of my previous settings. It wiped out my Internet connection and that took hours to reinstall. I had to reinstall the drivers for the wireless card. This is not easy and requires the use of the terminal for entering instructions. There were other problems as well and I never figured out how to solve them. I gave up on the upgrade software and downloaded the full 10.04 disc. Actually I downloaded it twice. These attempted installations both caused problems. After screwing with this for many hours I gave up and reinstalled 9.10 that I have on a CD sent to me by Kubuntu. It at least works but I'm still having problems getting it set up as I want it.

The main problem I have with KDE and Kubuntu is that things rarely go the way they are supposed to. When this happens I usually have a hard time overcoming the problem. I'm sticking to 9.10 because I can at least use it although I can't set it up like I'd like to. There's lots of advice on the Internet about how to do various things with Kubuntu but it's been my experience that almost none of them will work exactly as stated. When they don't work, there's no way to find out why or what to do about it.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon May 17, 2010 7:31 am
Please run the command "killall -9 krfb". If this cures the issue, it is because Desktop Sharing did not exit properly and was being restored by KDE session management automatically.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
tlinux
Registered Member
OS

Mon May 17, 2010 3:17 pm
bcooksley wrote:Please run the command "killall -9 krfb". If this cures the issue, it is because Desktop Sharing did not exit properly and was being restored by KDE session management automatically.

This worked. The Desktop Sharing no longer opens on startup.

Thank you.
tlinux
Registered Member
OS

Mon May 17, 2010 3:27 pm
I still have a couple of problems.

1. I'd like to stop the popup that's always nagging me to upgrade to 10.04. I don't want to do that (see above) and I'm afraid that I will inadvertantly select this upgrade and screw up all my settings and send by back to reinstalling 9.10. How can I stop this popup?

2. In a failed attempt to remove the Desktop Sharing screen, I quit the three monitor icons in the system tray(big mistake). How do I get them back?

Thank you!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue May 18, 2010 5:32 am
Are those items you removed in 2) part of the default configuration?

KDE Sysadmin
tlinux
Registered Member
OS

Tue May 18, 2010 6:08 am
Yes, I believe they are.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue May 18, 2010 8:49 am
Can you please provide a screenshot of your desktop? I believe the icons you removed were the Device Notifier, Battery Monitor and the Pager.

KDE Sysadmin
tlinux
Registered Member
OS

Tue May 18, 2010 4:14 pm
I can't figure out how to copy or attach the screen shot to this post.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed May 19, 2010 5:39 am
Screenshots need to be uploaded to an external site such as ImageBin, then the link posted here.

KDE Sysadmin
tlinux
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 20, 2010 12:28 am
The screenshot of my desktop can be found at:

http://imagebin.ca/view/dG26FL.html
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu May 20, 2010 4:36 am
Thanks. Assuming you are not using Smooth Tasks, or other similar Task Manager widget replacements, please add the "Task Manager" widget to your Panel, by right clicking on the Panel > Add Widgets, then dragging the Task Manager to the panel and waiting for a space to appear ( it may need some careful positioning )

KDE Sysadmin
tlinux
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 20, 2010 8:06 pm
Thanks. Assuming you are not using Smooth Tasks, or other similar Task Manager widget replacements, please add the "Task Manager" widget to your Panel, by right clicking on the Panel > Add Widgets, then dragging the Task Manager to the panel and waiting for a space to appear ( it may need some careful positioning )

I did that but it didn't accomplish anything. Dragging the Taskmanager from the Widgets menu to the Panel produces one or more spaces that say "Add Widgets" Now what? This is not intuitive and I've tried several approaches without success. When I close the Widgets menu the spaces disappear so I've accomplished nothing. I can't even minimize a window and then reopen it. Minimize (the down arrow in the upper right hand corner) closes the window.

I'm getting very frustrated. KDE has a number of features but their use isn't intuitive and there's no detailed description of how to use them. I've spent many hours trying to get the program set up to be useful, but I'm still a long way from my goal. I'm close to the point of saying 'TO HELL WITH IT" and going back to Windows. Yuck!