This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Best way to distribute themes?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Adriano M
Registered Member
OS

Best way to distribute themes?

Sat May 22, 2010 12:14 am
So, I've been making themes customizations on KDE for quite a long time, and it's just the best platform I know for this. But there is just one thing that bothers me. Distributing themes. See, in KDE3 we had that little feature called Theme Packages.

We could sock everything our disturbed minds had modified and easily share new experiences with our friends at the internets. But as you may know this is not present in KDE 4... wait! I'm not going to start talking about "lazy KDE developers", well, not at all. o)

We all know that KDE developers are pretty awesome and occupied, and this little feature might not come in any time soon. But I was wondering if anyone came with a simple way on how to deliver those files.

It's really not the best way to instruct the user to load each preset separately. Sometimes you have no way to offer a preset other than a set of instructions on what to check, uncheck and modify, which is a little boring when you want to test lots of styles.

So, has anyone ever managed to write some magical script that can copy and set many of those options? Or even some very "it was always behind your nose, but you never noted" super-simple method? You know, KDE is always full of surprises here and there...

Hope this post can at least bring in some interest to this cause.