This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Tooltips OFF please

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Tooltips OFF please

Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:00 am
To disable tooltips from the Task Manager, please do the following:
Click the Cashew on the panel. Hover over until you reach the list of applications currently open ( the Task Manager ) and right click. Select "Task Manager Settings" then change to the General tab. Untick "Show tooltips" and accept.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:44 pm
bcooksley wrote:To disable tooltips from the Task Manager, please do the following:
Click the Cashew on the panel. Hover over until you reach the list of applications currently open ( the Task Manager ) and right click. Select "Task Manager Settings" then change to the General tab. Untick "Show tooltips" and accept.

When I click on the cashew, I do not see any reference to a task manager.
This is all I see: http://www.upquick.com/temp/cashew.jpg

Even that cashew is hard to find and it is occupying the space where the hide button should be. How do I get the hide button back on each end of the panel?

And where can I find the task manager?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:55 pm
In that image, the open "KWrite", "Firefox" and "KSnapshot" windows where the Task Manager is located. Panel hide buttons are not supported by KDE 4 at this time.

KDE Sysadmin
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:33 pm
bcooksley wrote:In that image, the open "KWrite", "Firefox" and "KSnapshot" windows where the Task Manager is located. Panel hide buttons are not supported by KDE 4 at this time.

Doesn't work. Here's a screencapture: http://www.upquick.com/temp/tooltips.jpg

As you can see with "Show tooltips" unchecked and the pointer over the first desktop, that annoying large tooltip billboard still pops up.

Can you please tell me why important features (like the hide buttons) that used to work fine in the previous version of KDE have been omitted from the newer version?

I am finding lots of things that used to work fine in KDE 3.5 that no longer work (or work incorrectly) in KDE 4.4.5. This is definitely not an improvement.

Is it possible to reinstall KDE 3.5 to replace this KDE 4-alpha until it gets fixed?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:04 pm
That is a different widget. You need to change the tooltips setting in System Settings > Workspace in order to disable that behaviour. Note that only KDE SC 4.4+ have that control panel.

KDE Sysadmin
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:54 pm
bcooksley wrote:That is a different widget. You need to change the tooltips setting in System Settings > Workspace in order to disable that behaviour. Note that only KDE SC 4.4+ have that control panel.

Thank you for trying to help me, but somehow, I'm just not getting it.

Where is "System Settings"?

I tried this: PC > Configure your desktop > look & feel > desktop > workspace > change "Show an Independent Widget Set" to "Show Desktop Widgets"

But that didn't solve the problem.

I just don't understand why these annoying tooltips are forced upon us with no simple way to turn them off.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:03 am
Press Alt + F2, then type "System Settings" and select the appropriate item.

KDE Sysadmin
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:43 pm
bcooksley wrote:Press Alt + F2, then type "System Settings" and select the appropriate item.

Nothing happens. When I type "System Settings" absolutely nothing happens.
No "appropriate item" to select ... in fact, there is absolutely nothing at all to select.
isadora
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:37 pm
Joseppi wrote:
bcooksley wrote:Press Alt + F2, then type "System Settings" and select the appropriate item.

Nothing happens. When I type "System Settings" absolutely nothing happens.
No "appropriate item" to select ... in fact, there is absolutely nothing at all to select.

You better try:

Code: Select all
systemsettings

..............bird from paradise..............
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:50 pm
Okay, I did try "systemsettings" instead of "System Settings" ... and that took me to the same place that I previously reported above where I was still unable to get the danged tool tips turned off.

Above, I previously wrote this (in part):

> bcooksley wrote:That is a different widget. You need to change the
> tooltips setting in System Settings > Workspace in order to disable
> that behaviour. Note that only KDE SC 4.4+ have that control panel.

I tried this: PC > Configure your desktop > look & feel > desktop > workspace > change "Show an Independent Widget Set" to "Show Desktop Widgets"

I just don't understand why these annoying tooltips are forced upon us
with no simple way to turn them off.
isadora
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:16 pm
Joseppi wrote:Okay, I did try "systemsettings" instead of "System Settings" ... and that took me to the same place that I previously reported above where I was still unable to get the danged tool tips turned off.

Above, I previously wrote this (in part):

> bcooksley wrote:That is a different widget. You need to change the
> tooltips setting in System Settings > Workspace in order to disable
> that behaviour. Note that only KDE SC 4.4+ have that control panel.

I just don't understand why these annoying tooltips are forced upon us
with no simple way to turn them off.

Sorry Joseppi, can't help you anyway further.

Thought just about the command "systemsettings".
Me neither can find settings for tooltips, except for some specific windows.
Like in "Configure Your Desktop -> Configure -> General" where one can enable/disable detailed tooltips only for "Configure Your Desktop" itself.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:08 pm
The Tooltips settings are called "Informational Tips" and located in System Settings > Workspace, at least in KDE 4.5..

KDE Sysadmin
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:16 pm
bcooksley wrote:The Tooltips settings are called "Informational Tips" and located in System Settings > Workspace, at least in KDE 4.5..

Doesn't do us any good when we 4.4.5 is the installed version and the only one available in Synaptic.

It seems incomprehensible and unconscionable to put out a "new" version of any product that omits important features from a previous version and forces upon users nuisance "features" that are unwanted and a degradation from a previous version.

Now PCLinux has forced this defective new version on us with apparently no way to replace it with the older version that worked far better.
isadora
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:33 am
bcooksley wrote:The Tooltips settings are called "Informational Tips" and located in System Settings > Workspace, at least in KDE 4.5..

Poor Mandriva-user, as i am.
KDE 4.4.3 here, and no such option in "System Settings".

TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:36 pm
The option is only available in 4.5.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965