This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Tooltips OFF please

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
spoovy
Registered Member
OS

Tooltips OFF please

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:32 pm
Is there some simple way I can turn off all the incredibly annoying tooltips and popup type things all over my KDE desktop? I mean a single simple, single tickbox or something, rather than by spending a week hunting out all the individual methods for different elements of the desktop?

OR, at least can anyone tell me how to turn off the damned tooltip on my main menu/applications launcher? I found out what the button did the first time I clicked on it, so why I or anyone else would want a big billboard popping up to remind me what it does every single time I use it I can't imagine.

regards

spoov
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Tooltips OFF please

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:07 am
This behaviour cannot be disabled, however the time it takes to display can be adjusted in System Settings, in the "Workspace" module.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
spoovy
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:21 am
All I have in that area is two drop down menus - form factor and dashboard. I can't see how either of these would affect it?

I am using 4.4.3 btw. 4.4 has been the least annoying 4.x version I thnk and I gather 4.5 will be out soon. Any idea if this version will finally be rid of all the balloons/ popups/ tooltips?
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:38 pm
It can be disabled in 4.5. There will be an option to set the amount of time before a popup appears, and this time can be set to "Never" (which is set by making the delay less than 0).

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
spoovy
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:41 pm
Excellent. I look forward to 4.5 hitting the repos immensely!

Ta

spoov
ekeluo
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:12 am
In sort of opposition to the O.P.'s request, I would like more 'active' and persistent tooltips, of course only when they are enabled.

The system load viewer tooltip is useful for showing more precise info, and it updates frequently and is persistent (i.e. remains until the trigger [cursor] is moved away.). This I think should be the default behavior for all plasma tooltips.

Also for consistency sake, all KDE apps in the system tray should use the plasma style of tooltips for a united appearance.

Just my 2 cents.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:54 am
ekeluo wrote:In sort of opposition to the O.P.'s request, I would like more 'active' and persistent tooltips, of course only when they are enabled.

Not sure what you mean, how is this different from now?

Also for consistency sake, all KDE apps in the system tray should use the plasma style of tooltips for a united appearance.

This is one of the advantages with the new system tray protocol that KDE developers have been working on. Most likely you'll see more and more applications use it.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
ekeluo
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:00 pm
Right now (kubuntu karmic, kde 4.4.2) when hovering over the kickoff, quick access, cpu (system) monitor, etc widgets, they fade out after 4 seconds, while my cursor is still on the icon/widget/plasmoid. On the clock or system load viewer, however, they stay until I move my cursor away. I think that is the right behavior. Also the tooltip for the cpu (system) monitor shows the value at the time you arrived at the widget without updating, while obviously the graph beside is fluctuating heavily up and down (flash heavy browsing).
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:30 pm
Thanks for all of the KDE team's efforts ... however ...

It is highly frustrating when KDE developers (or developers of *any* system) impose "features" that cannot be disabled ... and/or take away ease-of-use features that previously existed. It is especially annoying when these gigantic pop-up tooltips are forced upon on everyone.

Please give us a way to get rid of them sooner than later.

While there are many nice things about the latest KDE, there are also many changes that are definitely *not* "improvements" but rather have taken away ease of use from previous versions.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:02 pm
Did you read the rest of the posts? I already said KDE 4.5 will allow these to be disabled.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
glupie
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:31 pm
In the interim, am I understanding that this is so broken in 4.4.4 that I get the tooltips even with "Taskbar Thumbnails" unchecked in Desktop Effects / All Effects? In fact, it looks like I get them even if I disable Desktop Effects completely (yikes!).

I don't see any way of adjusting the time to display in the workspace module (there is nothing there but which widget set to show).
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:35 pm
You can try Smooth Tasks, another task manager widget, if you want to disable tooltips in 4.4.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:36 am
I have the "Show tooltips" setting disabled for the Task Manager, which prevents it from showing the thumbnails or the apps name even if Compositing is enabled in 4.5.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:48 pm
You wrote:
> I have the "Show tooltips" setting disabled for the Task Manager,
> which prevents it from showing the thumbnails or the apps name even
> if Compositing is enabled in 4.5.

I have KDE 4.4.5 - 4.5 is not available in Synaptic.
Those huge black billboard tooltip popups are incredibly annoying.
Where does one find "Task Manager"?
How can one disable "Show tooltips"?

Also, I do not want to auto-hide the main panel and I cannot find a way to get back those handy little main panel hiding buttons that my previous KDE had.

Why have you removed important KDE 3.5 functionality in KDE 4 and added nuisances like those annoying huge tooltip pop-ups with no way to disable them?
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:59 pm
Hans wrote:You can try Smooth Tasks, another task manager widget, if you want to disable tooltips in 4.4.

Can't get this to work. What am I doing wrong?

When I right click on main panel > smooth task settings > appearance > tool tip type [none] ... those incredibly annoying tool tips still pop up when I mouse-over any icon on the main panel.