This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

keyboard shortcuts defined

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kdeforumsuser2010
Registered Member
OS

keyboard shortcuts defined

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:02 pm
I have a specific example below, but the question applies to all of KDE and KDE applications.

I looked at: right-click kruler -> Configure Shortcuts

I removed ctrl-w for close. (I use it as wrap in applications like kate). The alternate shortcut key, ctrl-esc, moved from the Alternate column to the Shortcut column. I clicked on kruler and then clicked ctrl-esc and the System Activity Monitor (SAM) is displayed. Why didn't ctrl-esc close kruler if kruler configure shortcuts showed ctrl-esc = close? HHHhmmmm...

I right-clicked the SAM title bar -> Advanced -> Window Shortcut and it shows "none". Why did ctrl-esc start SAM if this shortcut is none? HHHhmmmm... I looked at kmenu -> right-click -> Menu Editor -> System -> Monitor -> System Monitor -> Advanced, and the "Current shortcut key" was none.

I also looked at Configure Desktop/Personal Settings -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Standard & Global Keyboard Shortcuts. ctrl-esc = "Close". No signs of SAM.

I searched globally and at http://userbase.kde.org/ for keyboard shortcuts, and only found a reference to change plasma shortcuts via the cashew. I saw text that stated use this shortcut, but nowhere did I find where I could change them or view them all at once (so I could learn them).

Questions
Where is it defined/configured that ctrl-esc = open SAM?

I'd like to learn about the keyboard shortcuts that are already defined, but I can't seem to locate them. There seems to be more than one location.
Where are they? I know alt-f2 = krunner, where is that defined? Same place as ctrol-esc = SAM?

Earlier today I had wanted to find a shortcut key to minimize an active window, specifically konsole. I often find myself entering a command, grabbing the mouse to minimize the window. It would be quicker if there were a keyboard shortcut. Is there?

Much appreciated.
Thank you.

Environment: kdebase4-4.3.5, opensuse 11.2
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: keyboard shortcuts defined

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:55 am
These shortcuts are global and can be found in System Settings -> Computer Administration -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Global Keyboard Shortcuts. In System Activity's case, select KDE component "Run Command Interface" and you'll see "Show System Activity" in the list. Minimize window? KDE Component "KWin".

Custom shortcuts can be configured in System Settings -> Computer Administration -> Input Actions. If you define a shortcut in KDE Menu Editor it'll appear here.

Application shortcuts are configured in the applications, but some common shortcuts (such as Copy, Cut, Paste) can be found in System Settings -> Computer Administration -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Standard Keyboard shortcuts.

The window shortcuts give a window focus (they don't start applications) and aren't defined in any System Settings module (except if you set a Window-Specific rule, e.g. make all Konsole windows have the shortcut Alt+Ctrl+1, Alt+Ctrl+2 etc.).

If you found this helpful, it would be awesome if you could start a Userbase article about it.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
kdeforumsuser2010
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:39 am
Doh! I totally missed that "KDE component" drop-down on System Settings -> Computer Administration -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Global Keyboard Shortcuts.

"Standard Keyboard Shortcuts" shows for Close:
  • Shortcut: Ctrl+W
  • Alternate: Ctrl+ESC

If Ctrl-W is removed, Ctrl+ESC moves over from Alternate to Shortcut.

"Global Keyboard Shortcuts" shows for Show System Activity:
  • Global: Ctrl+ESC

I didn't change any of this, this is the way it was installed. I guess one can conclude though, that "Global Keyboard Shortcuts" override "Standard Keyboard Shortcuts" or "Application keyboard Shortcuts", and that is why in kruler, Ctrl+ESC started the System Activity Monitor and didn't close kruler.

In the drop-down on "Global Keyboard Shortcuts", I not only see KWin and Run Command Interface, but also KAlarm, klipper, amarok, KNotes, KMix, why these KDE apps, but not others?

Thank you.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:32 pm
kdeforumsuser2010 wrote:Doh! I totally missed that "KDE component" drop-down on System Settings -> Computer Administration -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Global Keyboard Shortcuts.

This seems like a serious usability issue, I've heard other users say the same. I'll see if I can find it reported somewhere, otherwise I'll try to make relevant people aware of the issue.

Code: Select all
"Standard Keyboard Shortcuts" shows for Close:
[list]
[*]Shortcut: Ctrl+W
[*]Alternate: Ctrl+ESC[/list]

If Ctrl-W is removed, Ctrl+ESC moves over from Alternate to Shortcut.

"Global Keyboard Shortcuts" shows for Show System Activity:
[list]
[*]Global: Ctrl+ESC[/list]

I didn't change any of this, this is the way it was installed.  I guess one can conclude though, that "Global Keyboard Shortcuts" override "Standard Keyboard Shortcuts" or "Application keyboard Shortcuts", and that is why in kruler, Ctrl+ESC started the System Activity Monitor and didn't close kruler.

Yeah, seems like it. However, the default shortcut Ctrl+Esc for Close looks like a bug, since you shouldn't be able to assign a shortcut that conflicts with another. If you try to remove the Close shortcut and reassign it to Ctrl+Esc, you'll get a dialog that complains about the conflict.

I would report it to bugs.kde.org (if it isn't already reported) if I were you.

In the drop-down on "Global Keyboard Shortcuts", I not only see KWin and Run Command Interface, but also KAlarm, klipper, amarok, KNotes, KMix, why these KDE apps, but not others?

Thank you.

I'm not sure how it works. Some of these applications have both a "Configure Shortcuts" and "Configure Global Shortcuts" dialog, so maybe an application has to define some shortcuts as "typical global" if it wants to show up in System Settings.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:39 pm
There has been talk about eliminating the dropdown and replacing it with some sort of categorized view but I don't know what came of it.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:43 pm
TheBlackCat wrote:There has been talk about eliminating the dropdown and replacing it with some sort of categorized view but I don't know what came of it.

Hm do you know where? I did a quick search on bugs.kde.org and the kde-usability mailing list but couldn't find anything. In fact I'm currently writing a draft to kde-usability, but if it's been discussed before I'll read that first.

kdeforumsuser2010
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:25 pm
This seems like a serious usability issue, I've heard other users say the same. I'll see if I can find it reported somewhere, otherwise I'll try to make relevant people aware of the issue.

Agree. Once a user gets use to it, or fumbles enough times, it most likely will begin to stick :) Sometimes a drop-down can just look like a label box and just blend into the window.

I don't know what constitutes a KDE component (which is the label of the drop-down). It seems more than just a KDE application (i.e., "Run Command Interface"). I looked at another machine and the drop-down's content was different than mine. We concluded that when an application is accessed it may be added to the KDE component drop-down in the Global Keyboard Shortcuts. Are they really Global Keyboard Shortcuts if they apply to a specific application?

I noticed there is a drop-down next to the "KDE component" drop-down. It appears to default to "file". It also contains items like "Import Scheme", "Export Scheme", "Set all Shortcuts to none", "Remove component". It's a little unclear if this drop-down applies to all of KDE (desktop, plasma) or just the specific component/application displayed in the "KDE component" drop-down. Obviously, "Remove component" applies to the "KDE component", but "Import Scheme". HHmmm...

A tree structure would be nice. The user could see all keyboard shortcuts and collapse/expand as necessary. Before I make any changes or additions to the default keyboard shortcuts, I want to examine the defaults to see if there is a pattern (to make learning and remembering them easier). The drop-down makes this a little more time consuming.

This has been very helpful.

Thank you.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:01 am
Hans wrote:Hm do you know where? I did a quick search on bugs.kde.org and the kde-usability mailing list but couldn't find anything. In fact I'm currently writing a draft to kde-usability, but if it's been discussed before I'll read that first.

Check the KDE-Usability list again. You are looking for a thread labeled "How can we fix up the Global Shortcuts Dialog?" that ran from Apr 12 to Apr 13.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Hans
Administrator
OS

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:31 am
TheBlackCat wrote:Check the KDE-Usability list again. You are looking for a thread labeled "How can we fix up the Global Shortcuts Dialog?" that ran from Apr 12 to Apr 13.

Thanks for the precise information, found the thread. I'll take a closer look after my final exam this week.

kdeforumsuser2010
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:01 am
I just happened to use the gconf-editor on KDE 4 to set some settings for Gimp, and thought gconf-editor was a good example of a user interface for KDE shortcuts. A tree on the left (expand and collapse), and the contents on the right --- add a search.