This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to access device manager if removed from panel?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS
I would like to remove the "device manager" icon from the main panel,
but still be able to access it if/when needed. How can one do that?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
What the Device Manager provides is also accessible on Dolphin's side bar.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
google01103
Manager
or in system tray (4.5 beta), where icons can be hidden and accessed when extender button clicked

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Joseppi
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for responding ... but I still can't find it.

Please see the screen shot here:

http://upquick.com/linux/kdedevices.jpg
google01103
Manager
in Dolphin places panel at bottom newly added devices should have an entry created

you need to connect a device for it to appear

http://i46.tinypic.com/fdttud.jpg

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Joseppi
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:or in system tray (4.5 beta), where icons can be hidden and accessed when extender button clicked

Where is "system tray" and how does one access that?

I don't know which version of KDE I have, but I assume that it is not a "beta" version as it was part of the new PCLinuxOS 10.1 install that I just did ... so I don't know if the remedy that you suggest would be applicable.

Also, what is "extender button" and how does one find and use that?
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:in Dolphin places panel at bottom newly added devices should have an entry created

you need to connect a device for it to appear

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=fdttud&s=6

So, I guess I still don't understand the answer to my original question.

Can I safely remove that "No devices plugged in" icon on the main panel (and be able to restore it later, if desired? ... and if so, how?)

And, if I remove that icon from the main panel, and then attach a device, will I be missing any capability that I might need?

My original question was, is there any reason why I should *not* remove that icon from the main panel?
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Restoring it to the panel is as easy as right-clicking on the panel, clicking "add new widgets" and dragging the device notifier to wherever you want it. If you remove it, you will no longer get a popup when you plug in a device, you will need to go into dolphin or some other file manager to mount it. Otherwise things will work the same.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS
Thank you. Exactly what I needed to know.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Joseppi wrote:
google01103 wrote:or in system tray (4.5 beta), where icons can be hidden and accessed when extender button clicked

Where is "system tray" and how does one access that?

I don't know which version of KDE I have, but I assume that it is not a "beta" version as it was part of the new PCLinuxOS 10.1 install that I just did ... so I don't know if the remedy that you suggest would be applicable.

Also, what is "extender button" and how does one find and use that?

System Tray is the widget which shows small icons of some applications you have running, for example KMix, Kopete, Klipper etc. It's usually located to the right in the panel near the clock. Note that this isn't the same as the task manager - only a few applications appear in the system tray.

You'll also find the notification icon in the system tray. Usually it's a gray round icon with an 'i', but when you for example copy some files it'll show a spinning wheel with a number inside.

To add Device Manager to the system tray (requires >= 4.4), first unlock your widgets, right click on e.g. the notification icon (i) -> System Tray Settings -> Plasma Widgets -> check "Device Notifier".

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS
Joseppi wrote:Thank you. Exactly what I needed to know.

Solved