This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

wallpaper and widgets lost on reboot - 4.5 beta2 and now RC1

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
google01103
Manager
there's a bad config file - usually it's the plasma rc ones causing your kind of problem.

You could try using kfind on the /config directory, searching all files for content containing wallpaper and one of those found should be the offender

or retaining all of the /.kde4 folder and in /config move all except the known apps like dolphinrc and katerc

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

mudlark
Registered Member
OS
the problem still is festering away in the background as when booting up the login screen doesn't show the last user.............

Still help.
google01103
Manager
i'm at a loss so I'll just lie back and think of england.. (any particular part of england I should be thinking about?)

maybe someone else will join the thread

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

annew
Manager
OS
When this sort of thing happens it's usually enough to open konsole, type 'kquitapp plasma-desktop' then 'mv ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktoprc ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktoprc.old' then finish with 'plasma-desktop'. You still lose all your plasma settings, but everything you were working on is still safe.

Be very careful with third party widgets. Some of them are only stable with certain versions of plasma. I'd seriously recommend running first with no third-party ones, then no more than one added at a time.

Apart from that, I can't think of anything else that might help.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
mudlark
Registered Member
OS
annew wrote:When this sort of thing happens it's usually enough to open konsole, type 'kquitapp plasma-desktop' then 'mv ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktoprc ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktoprc.old' then finish with 'plasma-desktop'. You still lose all your plasma settings, but everything you were working on is still safe.

Be very careful with third party widgets. Some of them are only stable with certain versions of plasma. I'd seriously recommend running first with no third-party ones, then no more than one added at a time.

Apart from that, I can't think of anything else that might help.

It's all got a bit heavy for me folks. This plasma device has gone passed my teeny area of knowledge.

My desktop is functional if not prefect so I'll carry on as is. I just like to understand what is going on, but I will give up now. I have copied some app files over to the new .kde folder so nothing serious lost.

Thanks folks..solved ish