This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

wallpaper and widgets lost on reboot - 4.5 beta2 and now RC1

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mudlark
Registered Member
OS
the subject tells it all really.

Is this my issue or a bug with beta2?

thanks,

mike

Last edited by mudlark on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
google01103
Manager
re: widgets & backgrounds see http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88431, fyi - it appears to be solved in what I installed today 4.4.86svn1138650-3.1

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Bloemetjesgordijn
Registered Member
Sort of the same issue here.

Also updated by mistake :z

no Wallpaper issue however. But some of the widgets go to a 'default' state, after each reboot.

No idea if its an bug....

Cheerz
mudlark
Registered Member
OS
when i get the boot screen it doesn't save my last login either and the picture that i add to the wallpaper from my own pictures isn't saved to the wallpaper folder.
mudlark
Registered Member
OS
Hi Folks,

i have created a new user who keeps the settings at logout or shutdown, but no luck with recent updates.

Can anyone help please.

even telling me how the logout and login process works would be a help!!
cheers,

Mike.
google01103
Manager
If you rename your existing plasma rc files in ~/.kde4/share/config/ and restart plasma-desktop by "kquitapp plasma-desktop" and the restart it "plasma-desktop" is the problem resolved? If so there's an issue in on of those rc files.

mudlark
Registered Member
OS
the whole lot, there are rather a number. i tried renaming systemsettingsrc and no change.

further info. The wallpaper that I add to the desktop from my file system doesn't gets saved, however if I manually copy the file it is now kept in the same folder as another downloaded wallpaper.

I am convinced the shutdown system is damaged with my user name. a new username has no problems with rebuilding the previous session.
google01103
Manager
the plasma rc files all start with plasma*

plasmarc
plasma-desktoprc
plasma-desktop-appletsrc

mudlark
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:the plasma rc files all start with plasma*

plasmarc
plasma-desktoprc
plasma-desktop-appletsrc

I renamed all files above and just changed the wallpaper. on re login the system created new files for plasmarc and plasma-desktoprc. I didn't use the applets tool. Re loging in and the desktop returns to the default version refusing to load the wallpaper.

PS thanks for the responses!
google01103
Manager
"I didn't use the applets tool"? I don't understand what you're referring to

It should have created a plasma-desktop-appletsrc also

mudlark
Registered Member
OS
I use the applets tool to start up the folder view and then I change the folder to desktop.

The desktop loads up without even the folder view that comes with the default desktop.

The log in didn't create a new plasma-desktop-appletsrc file......

Using "switch user" is successful.
google01103
Manager
what happens if you from konsole type: kquitapp plasma-desktop ; plasma-desktop
is the plasma-desktop-appletsrc file created?

mudlark
Registered Member
OS
mike@angelique:~$ kquitapp plasma-desktop ; plasma-desktop
Invalid D-BUS interface name 'org.kde.plasma-desktop.PlasmaApp' found while parsing introspection
<unknown program name>(11813)/ kdemain: !!{} STARTUP TIME 77708236 START (line: 48 )
plasma-desktop(11813): Communication problem with "plasma-desktop" , it probably crashed.
Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" : " "The name org.kde.plasma-desktop was not provided by any .service files" "

the replacement file was created.
google01103
Manager
hmmm - never ran that in konsole before, always krunner so errors didn't display
running in konsole I also get lots of errors but plasma shuts down and then restarts as it should
got the invalid d-bus but not the other messages following

only other thing I can think of (other than renaming ~/.kde4) is to quit kde and from the command line remove the following 2 folders
~/.kde4/cache-XXXX where xxxx ='s user name
~/.kde4/tmp-xxxx

mudlark
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
I renamed the ~/.kde folder and the thing works ok again. I am a bit disappointed as to why this problem occurred and the destructive recovery method, but hey at the end of the day I do like this latest version of the desktop. I suppose the best way to find out what is going on is to copy the old folder files one by one until the problem recurs. I am more than happy to try this if the developers are interested in the result.

any views or should i just lie back and think of england..

cheers,

mike.

Last edited by mudlark on Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.