This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

task bar clock

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
paddeo
Registered Member
OS

task bar clock

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:25 pm
Hi all. Am a newbe hear and have a couple of problems with KDE4.3. First, How does one change the task bar clock from 24hr display to a 12hr display. I have looked at all the system settings I could find and can't seem to locate it.
Second, KDE 4.3 boots up to a blank screen, no desktop, with just the task bar at bottom showing. I do get the splash screen up but when that's done it blanks. I can get the desktop back by using the display manager and selecting lower and lower resolutions until I get it back. After that's been done it works great. But every time I start KDE I have to go through this process all over again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
google01103
Manager

Re: task bar clock

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:58 pm
1) systemsettings -> locale -> country/region -> time & dates -> time format -> change to hh:mm:ss

2) no idea, don't use Slackware but is your issue that you're booting into the wrong resolution? does your monitor support the resolution kde is booting into? In display manager are you saving the resolution that works as the default? Might help to start a separate thread for this in graphics and multimedia.

ps - you should up kde 4.3's a bit old 4.5 rc1

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

vbatts
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:59 pm
@paddeo there were a few issues in KDE 4.3 with the plasma desktop going to a blank screen. i'm not sure what your constraints may be, but the upgrade from slackware-13.0 to slackware-13.1 is pretty straight forward, and it would provide you KDE 4.4.3. Which is quite solid, and nice.

Take care,
vb

vbatts, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Sep.

http://hashbangbash.com/
paddeo
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:40 pm
Thanks VBATTS for your response. I did a clean install of slackware-13.1 and it exhibits the same behavior. Blank screen etc., re: my original post. I even have a new HD display that is capable of 1680x1050 so the display is not part of my problem.

And the 24hr clock display is really annoying. I am not in the military, do not live in Europe, so is there any way to change it, other than the System Settings, which don't work, as 'google01103' would suggest.

Thanks again
annew
Manager
OS

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:57 pm
systemsettings -> locale -> country/region -> time & dates -> time format -> and look at the options. Don't be lazy. There are only two choices. If the one you were given was incorrect, did you actually read what the other one was?

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
vbatts
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:33 pm
did you keep your old ~/.kde ? if so, that maybe where there is possibly a corrupted plasma configuration. for the sake of cleanliness, try closing all applications except for a console, then
$> cd ~/
$> mv .kde .kde.BAK
<Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Backspace>

login again to KDE, and see if the blank screen persists.

vbatts, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Sep.

http://hashbangbash.com/