This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

non-squared KDE-button possible?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
starbuck
Registered Member
OS

non-squared KDE-button possible?

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:46 am
Hello,

is it possible to replace the default KDE start-button with a non-squared one?
Maybe it is doable by some code-tweaking?

If not, what is the best way to suggest such a feature for a future release?

Thanks, Starbuck.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Not currently. There is a feature request for this.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
starbuck
Registered Member
OS

Re: non-squared KDE-button possible?

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:08 am
Hi BlackCat,

thanks for the fast reply!

I'm relative new to KDE, so can you tell me how those feature request are handled?
Are certain developers responsible for certain "parts" of KDE, like Plasmoid or productivity suits?
Varg
Registered Member
OS
You could install a new icon theme. This one provides a round KDE icon: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/oxygencolors?content=104048

Simply download the tarbal, go to system settings > appearance > icons and choose install theme file. Just select the downloaded file without unpacking it.

Then you can right-click a icon and in that window click on the icon. It will open up a new window where you can select a different icon. It should be under the "places" tab.
BelaLugosi
Alumni
OS
Try rightclick theKMenu -> Application Launcher Settings -> click the icon -> choose whatever you want

i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers (bash.org)
starbuck
Registered Member
OS
Hello Varg, BelaLugosi!

Do I understand this correctly, or maybe I wasn't clear enough:
If I change to another icon via right-click or another icon theme,
doesn't the KDE start button is still squeezed into a squared format (AxA)?

So choosing something like this:

http://www.seeklogo.com/images/W/Window ... go.com.gif

would still be squeezed into a squared format and not retain its rectangular shape?
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
@starbuck:
I believe what TheBlackCat was refering to is Bug #205387. So it is already reported, now the only thing left is someone implementing it :)

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
Vistaus
Registered Member
OS

Re: non-squared KDE-button possible?

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:12 am
Why implement things that are already there?

As said before, just install another icon theme or right-click the menu, then Application launcher settings and then click in the icon in the opened window to choose another icon. It doesn't make it squared if you choose another one, I have currently a Vista orb and it's as round as round is.
Che Guevara_
Registered Member
OS
Vistaus wrote:Why implement things that are already there?

As said before, just install another icon theme or right-click the menu, then Application launcher settings and then click in the icon in the opened window to choose another icon. It doesn't make it squared if you choose another one, I have currently a Vista orb and it's as round as round is.

Not round and not square! He meant RECTANGULAR button, not A*A format! I really want that feature too, It's just very strange that this is not implemented yet!
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Vistaus wrote:Why implement things that are already there?

A "round" button is just a square button with transparency, it isn't really round. You could conceivably make a square button with transparency at the top and/or bottom to simulate a rectangular button, but this would end up with a lot of wasted space at the top and/or bottom. What these people are looking for is a button, like the windows XP start menu, with a non-square aspect ratio. So for instance a button that is three times as wide as it is tall.

This does lead to some complications in vertical panels, though. Is the bottom laid out horizontally or rotated in a vertical panel?

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Vistaus
Registered Member
OS
Hmm, no wasted space here with the Vista orb :S
But I do get your explanation, BlackCat. I vote for that idea too.