This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Lost Widgets in task bar.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Budgie2
Registered Member

Lost Widgets in task bar.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:38 pm
Very new installation of openSuse 11.3 on T42 laptop. I was having trouble with a persistent notification and in trying to remove it have lost several important widgets including the speaker volume, wifi connection and upgrade notification icons.

I cannot identify some of these from the add widgets option. Evenb tried a new installation with re format of root but retaining /home, thinking that I would get all back to how it was, but no, the fresh installation has the widgets still missing. Is it possible the desktop configuration is on /home partition?

Please could somebody help me with reinstating these widgets.

Regards,
Budgie2
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Re: Lost Widgets in task bar.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:08 pm
Those are not widgets, they are system tray applets. Although some widgets can live in the system tray, the reverse is not true. You will need to re-ad the system tray (which is itself a widget). If you want to disable notification, you should be able to from the system tray configuration dialog (right click on the system tray to do so).

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Budgie2
Registered Member

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:21 pm
TheBlackCat wrote:Those are not widgets, they are system tray applets. Although some widgets can live in the system tray, the reverse is not true. You will need to re-ad the system tray (which is itself a widget). If you want to disable notification, you should be able to from the system tray configuration dialog (right click on the system tray to do so).

Brilliant. Many thanks. So many new terms to learn I would never have found that. Now all is back as it should be and I have learned something new.

BTW, why was this system tray not reinstated when I did the new install?

The notification issue which prompted my first error of deleting the system tray was due to an error caused by missing 'soprano-backend-redland' Help from an adjacent KDE forum sorted this out and now I am happy to keep the 'Notification & Jobs'

Many thanks again.
Budgie2
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:06 am
The System Tray was not restored because it was only removed from your panel, which is a personal setting, and is stored in your $HOME directory ( namely, ~/.kde4/share/config )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]