This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

GNOMish look of the Login Screen window

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lelamal
Registered Member
OS
Hi all. I'm on Kubuntu 10.04. After upgrading to KDE 4.5, the login screen at startup didn't preselect my username as it used to by default.

I followed another forum thread, and gave the suggested command:
Code: Select all
sudo chown -R kdm:kdm /var/lib/kdm

It did its job, indeed. But, after that, every time I go to System Settings>Login Screen I get a rather GNOMish window (please, see snapshot attached). What's stranger is that I don't have GNOME as a desktop environment installed. Can anyone help me revert it back to its default look, please? Many thanks in advance!

EDIT: it seems attachments are not allowed after all. So, here's the link to the snapshot: http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7876/snapshotwg.jpg

Last edited by lelamal on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amine27
Registered Member
OS
It is a bug in kdm,user management, kpackagekit if you lunch there's software from system settings you get this look. Kubuntu bug in SC 4.5

Amine27, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.

lelamal
Registered Member
OS
Amine27 wrote:It is a bug in kdm,user management, kpackagekit if you lunch there's software from system settings you get this look. Kubuntu bug in SC 4.5

Hi, do you mean that this bug affects also KPackageKit? And what do you mean by "user management"? I've noticed such a look only on Login Screen. Is there any way to reproduce this bug elsewhere? Also, in search of a solution, I'd be interested in following this bug you were telling me about, so I'd be very grateful if you could provide me with a link to it. Many thanks!
Amine27
Registered Member
OS
well, I think it is from Kubuntu...

see the screenshots:

http://yfrog.com/0f12388767p
http://yfrog.com/j731234349p

lelamal
Registered Member
OS
Oh yeah, now I see what you mean, Amine27. I get exactly the same windows!

I opened the same thread on Kubuntu Forums, but strangely no one seems to have the same problem, considering they are not answering saying it's a common problem we all share. Strange indeed! And I thought it depended on that command I gave. Perhaps I always had that look, and didn't notice before.

I wonder where these kind of bugs should be reported, whether on Launchpad or KDE Bug Tracking System.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You need to run "kcmshell4 kcm_style" as root. ( *buntu uses kdesudo for that I believe ) and select your style as Oxygen.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
lelamal
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:You need to run "kcmshell4 kcm_style" as root. ( *buntu uses kdesudo for that I believe ) and select your style as Oxygen.

I entered this command in Konsole, but nothing happens:
lelamal@EGO:~$ kdesudo kcmshell4 kdm_style
kcmshell(2077)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "kdm_style.desktop" not found
kcmshell(2077) locateModule: Could not find module ' "kdm_style" '.
kcmshell(2077)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "kcm_kdm_style.desktop" not found
kcmshell(2077) locateModule: Could not find module ' "kcm_kdm_style" '.
kcmshell(2077)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "kcmkdm_style.desktop" not found
kcmshell(2077) locateModule: Could not find module ' "kcmkdm_style" '.

Am I doing something wrong, perhaps?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You made a typo...

Run "kdesudo kcmshell4 kcm_style"

KDE Sysadmin
lelamal
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:You made a typo...

Run "kdesudo kcmshell4 kcm_style"

Oh yes, I see it, last time I must have unintentionally modified the command, sorry. Now I copied/pasted it, and this is the result:

lelamal@EGO:~$ kdesudo kcmshell4 kcm_style
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/lelamal/.config/ibus/bus
Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
QMetaObject::invokeMethod: No such method KUniqueApplication::loadCommandLineOptionsForNewInstance()
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(1774) KBuildSycoca::checkTimestamps: checking file timestamps
kbuildsycoca4(1774) KBuildSycoca::checkTimestamps: timestamps check ok
kbuildsycoca4(1774) kdemain: Emitting notifyDatabaseChanged ()
kcmshell(1753)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "kcm_style.desktop" not found
kcmshell(1753) locateModule: Could not find module ' "kcm_style" '.
kcmshell(1753)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "kcm_kcm_style.desktop" not found
kcmshell(1753) locateModule: Could not find module ' "kcm_kcm_style" '.
kcmshell(1753)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "kcmkcm_style.desktop" not found
kcmshell(1753) locateModule: Could not find module ' "kcmkcm_style" '.

After this, nothing happens. I see it complains about something, but I lack the knowledge to understand what. Thank you for your help so far!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Oops. My typo.

kdesudo kcmshell4 style

KDE Sysadmin
lelamal
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:
kdesudo kcmshell4 style

OK, this one gave me the equally GNOMish-looking window Style - KDE Control Module, where, unfortunately, Widget style already read Oxygen.

Before exiting, though, I decided to change the style to something else (Plastique), then changed it back to Oxygen. That, strangely, did the trick - which remains something of a mystery to me. I checked every one of the windows affected by this issue and, fortunately, this fixed them all. Many thanks for your time and assistance!
Amine27
Registered Member
OS
Thank you, I changed the color too in my case, to 'Oxygen Cold' from:

kdesudo kcmshell4 colors

Best regards.