This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Taskbar/SystemTray Icon Size

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gdot
Registered Member
OS

Taskbar/SystemTray Icon Size

Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:22 pm
New to KDE. Have 4.4.5 on Debian sid. I cannot find a way to change the
taskbar/system icon size. There is an icon setting in system settings but it
doesn't seem to have any effect which makes me wonder what it's there for. I
have a 26" LCD with 1920x1200 native resolution and all else is set to
perfection so changing the resolution will not be an option!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Taskbar/SystemTray Icon Size

Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:43 pm
The icons in the system tray are ( as far as I know ) limited to 48x48 pixels unfortunately. This is a limitation built into the old System Tray protocol, and is likely imposed by Plasma to ensure consistency on the new protocol.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
JaKi
Registered Member
OS

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:18 pm
Which icons do you mean? Since KDE 4.5 the size of the panel icons can be set in systemsettings. After that you have to drag the panel to a bigger size to increase the icons. The size of the desktop icons is only used by the folderview widget. The icons for the tray are not adjustable IMHO. At least I haven' found any settins for that. The size of the taskmanager icons IMHO depends on the height of the panel and the number of rows you want the taskmanager to produce.
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:44 pm
The other panel icons adjust to the height of the panel but the system tray icons do not. If you make the panel high enough, they re-group into two rows of icons.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
JaKi
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:27 pm
The systemtray icons are always shown in fixed size of 24x24 as I just learned. Which is a bit weird as the icon themes use a standard size of 22x22, so those icons that are not covered by the plasma theme have to be scaled up a little which makes them look blurred. I like that the tray icons go into two rows or even three when the panle gets high enough - but I'd also appreciate an option to set the size of the tray icons. In that case I would use a two row tray with 32x32 icons (that's how my quickstart widget looks like).
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:32 am
Setting the size of tray icons is not possible, as the size needs to be set to the size of the old system tray spec. Otherwise KDE would recieve complaints of a feature that "didn't work for some applications".

KDE Sysadmin
JaKi
Registered Member
OS

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:40 am
In that case might it be possible to use svg if availabe in the icon theme?

Using svg for purposes where the icons are requested in a non-standard size wouldn't be that bad. By now the 22x22 icon of the theme seems to be used by the tray and scaled up to 24x24 though there is a svg available for that application in the used theme or the theme it inherits.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:10 am
I would think that it is possible to use SVG icons if available, yes.

KDE Sysadmin
JaKi
Registered Member
OS

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:11 am
Do you think it makes sense to file a wishlist entry for this on bugs.kde.org?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:34 am
Yes, that would be a good idea.

KDE Sysadmin
floopy1962
Registered Member
OS

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:54 am
Like "JaKi" sayd the icons are 24x24 but the kde oxygen icon theme have only 22x22 and they get blurred... what if i add 24x24 category in the icon theme and put my icons there... i'm talking about the weather icons

to use Kde is just a pleasure... Image
JaKi
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:49 pm
floopy1962 wrote:Like "JaKi" sayd the icons are 24x24 but the kde oxygen icon theme have only 22x22 and they get blurred... what if i add 24x24 category in the icon theme and put my icons there... i'm talking about the weather icons

I tried. It does not work. Even if you have a 24x24 category in the icon theme with 24x24 icons in it - still the 22x22 icons seem to be used and scaled up to 24x24 :(.
zeke123
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:56 am
Put my dad on KDE4.2 and he and others have been asking for this option ever since then.
As my dad keeps asking:'If I can make anything as big as i want, why not the thing I use the most'.

My quest is over I guess,... I was sort of hoping there might be a hack available that I could find somewhere.

At least this post saves me the time trolling forums any longer for this.
Thanks.