This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

disable panel transparency

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
strycat
Registered Member

disable panel transparency

Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:44 pm
Is there some way to disable the transparency on the panel? I really don't like having to squint and focus hard to find the icons I've put on the panel.

Thanks in advance.
google01103
Manager

Re: disable panel transparency

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:05 pm
see this thread, it should answer your question viewtopic.php?f=17&t=86579

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

strycat
Registered Member

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:53 pm
google01103 wrote:see this thread, it should answer your question viewtopic.php?f=17&t=86579

Well that has the hard way and resource intensive way of doing things. Coping the theme over to my .kde directory and changing the panel-background.svgz image is actually overkill.

The easier way of doing it without using a bunch of disk space is to still create your own panel-background.svgz image, but no need to copy the whole theme over. Go to K->Settings->System Settings->Workspace Appearance->Desktop Theme->Details. Select Panel Background and choose "file." Then select your new panel-background.svgz image.

BTW if any of the developers are reading, this property should be a simple right click on the panel not some maze of random clicks to get to it.
alavarre
Registered Member
OS

Wed May 25, 2011 1:14 pm
Thank you for this. YES, they should make it a lot easier.

>
K->Settings->System Settings->Workspace Appearance->Desktop Theme->Details.

Select Panel Background and choose "file." Then select your new panel-background.svgz image.

I chose /usr/share/kde4/apps/desktoptheme/default/opaque/widgets/panel-background.svgz

Best regards, Andy
COKEDUDE
Registered Member

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:05 pm
Another easy way to do this is with

Some things that may speed up any card's performance

The first one refers particularly to systems running KDE prior to 4.3.1 -

Try to avoid using many widgets on your desktop, particularly if they are of the dynamic updating type.

Turn off transparency/translucency, choosing themes that don't use it.

Use a theme with transparency, but change the configuration. Set the fade time to zero.
There are two ways to do this, both in the desktop-effects systemsettings dialog. One, on the General tab, set animation speed to Instant.
Two, on the All Effects tab, find translucency, configure it, and set fading duration to 0 to 10 or so. (The spinner increments are 100 ms, so the 10 ms suggestion is only a tenth of that.)

These hints won't turn an old graphics card into a fast one, but they will make Desktop Effects a feasibility on many older cards.

http://userbase.kde.org/GPU-Performance
josephj
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:00 pm
I couldn't deal with the transparent taskbar either - almost totally unreadable.

There really should be a toggle to turn transparency off as mentioned by another poster.

I found a brute force way to get rid of it by turning off all desktop effects (disabling compiz) in the kde control center. This speeds up my older notebook a whole lot anyway.

I will look into these more subtle options.
pooky2483
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:08 pm
I'm having the same problem, I have mine set to cycle through desktop images and when a dark one appears, I cant see the widgets or the taskbar properly.
I have tried to find the settings to decrease the transparency (in KDE translucency). I found this;
But, no matter what they are set to, the taskbar and widgets are still transparent.
luebking

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:52 pm
Taskbar and widget translucency are theme related (there's a bunch of them at kde-look.org) and has nothing to do with the compositor (except that panels - unlike widgets - technically require a compositor to be translucent)

See here:
http://kde-look.org/index.php?xsortmode ... entmode=76
honestotter
Registered Member

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:56 am
google01103 wrote:see this thread, it should answer your question http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=86579

NO it definitely did not help, ty for wasting 10 minutes of my day not getting an answer..
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:35 am
honestotter wrote:NO it definitely did not help, ty for wasting 10 minutes of my day not getting an answer..

Oh, because you are using the exact plasma version described in that thread of 2013? That was 7 years ago, how about asking in a new thread?
Also please check out our forum rules and policy, we ask people to respect them and keep the interaction here polite.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...