This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE4 Panel Auto-Hide Glow Color

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cracksquirrel
Registered Member
OS

KDE4 Panel Auto-Hide Glow Color

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:22 pm
Sorry if this is a repost. I have tried searching for this subject and haven't found a thread yet.

I am trying to locate where I can modify the KDE4 panel auto hide hover glow. The default seems to be blue for all themes. As your mouse moves closer to the hidden panel a glow color starts to appear, and grows brighter the closer your mouse gets to activating it.

I have been able to find the section that modified the active window glow colors, but not panel auto hide glow colors. A bit annoying when my whole theme is black and red, then out of nowhere there is this light blue glow..
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: KDE4 Panel Auto-Hide Glow Color

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:13 am
The glow is provided by KWin, so it may be located there in terms of settings. However, I would expect the glow colours to be taken from the currently active colour scheme, so this is potentially a bug.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:46 am
The glow is in the plasma theme - widgets/glowbar.svgz

cracksquirrel
Registered Member
OS

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Nice. Thank you very much. So I guess it isnt a parameter after all but an image part of a theme. I appreciate the response.
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:48 pm
No problem.

Most themes leave it as a blue glow - perhaps the authors don't know about it :)

toad
Global Moderator
OS

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:30 pm
Hm, I don't get it - I changed my desktop themes around (from vanilla) and all of a sudden this blue glow appeared.

I've got five glowbar files on my system:

Code: Select all
/home/toad/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/.customized1/widgets/glowbar.svgz
/home/toad/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/DarkAir/widgets/glowbar.svgz
/usr/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/widgets/glowbar.svgz
/usr/share/apps/desktoptheme/oxygen/widgets/glowbar.svgz
/usr/share/apps/desktoptheme/slim-glow/widgets/glowbar.svgz

I moved them to *.bak but no use, even after a logout. I do not seem to be able to find a way of getting rid of this glow.

What am I missing?

Many thanks in advance...

Debian testing
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:52 pm
toad wrote:
What am I missing?

You may (and this is a guess) need to clean out the plasma-cache (located in /var/tmp/kdecache-*user* usually).

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:06 pm
Cheers, but the glow is still there after a reboot, so I reckon it wasn't the cache.

Debian testing
pagoda
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:29 am
Has anyone been able to find a way to be rid of the blue glow on the panel?
(Not to be confused with the window border glow)
Please don't suggest using another theme...

I've removed all traces of glowbar.svgz images from themes in /usr.../desktopthemes, cleared all caches from /usr/tmp and ~/.kde, run sudo updatedb, switched themes back and forth, checked and re-checked color schemes, restarted x with no result.

Seriously the glow setting IS somewhere... it doesn't just appear on all of our desktops magically...
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:48 am
Instead of removing the files, try editing the one from the theme you use and setting it to be mostly transparent. Don't know whether it works, but generally if you change it, it should replace the blue glow-bar with whatever you put in there (for example, slim-glow doesn't have it blue, but gray)

pagoda
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:21 pm
ivan wrote:Instead of removing the files, try editing the one from the theme you use and setting it to be mostly transparent. Don't know whether it works, but generally if you change it, it should replace the blue glow-bar with whatever you put in there (for example, slim-glow doesn't have it blue, but gray)

Thanks for your reply Ivan.

In light of the problem here I began with chmod a+rw glowbar.svgz.
And if I open glowbar.svgz via kate, it would be reasonably expected I could replace all instances of opacity=1 to opacity=0.

Wrong. I am denied access to change the contents of the file.
luebking

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:10 pm
an svgz is a compressed file, if you can just open it in kate, it will likely be decompressed on the fly but recompression won't possibly not work and thus editing is prohibited. shrug

-> edit svg(z) files in inkscape or so, not in kate - that's masochism anyway ;-)
pagoda
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:33 am
The image that requires editing is in fact tasks.svgz, and not glowbar.svgz.
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:25 am
@pagoda how so? tasks.svgz contains elements (and glows) for the tasks applet - aka running applications buttons.

glowbar.svgz contains the glow for the hidden panels. At least, that's what I changed so that slim-glow doesn't have a blue glow.

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma ... e_Elements
[snip]
/glowbar.svgz : a frame without a prefix, it represents a glow, it's used for instance in Plasma Desktop for the panel autohide unhide hint.
[snip]

pagoda
Registered Member
OS

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:23 am
ivan wrote:@pagoda how so? tasks.svgz contains elements (and glows) for the tasks applet - aka running applications buttons.

glowbar.svgz contains the glow for the hidden panels. At least, that's what I changed so that slim-glow doesn't have a blue glow.

@ivan,

I must appologise. :<
In my "frenzied state" in seeking a solution for my issue, I completely failed to read the thread title!

My concern was with the glow effects of tasks.svgz glowing open-tasks on the panel blue.

Sincerely